• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Japan news in English

I didn't want to take away from the other thread, but in case someone wishes to see Japanese news of recent events in English, this is where I usually go:

http://www.japantoday.com/

They have a fair amount of news coverage of the quake/tsunami/nuclear plant events. And there are 11 vegetables from the area banned.

Just a warning, even though it is in English, there are times that you have to read between the lines, particularly if it is a politician or spokesperson for a company speaking/writing.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Must the same as over here when Politician or CEO speakes.

Tom

Comment

• jackellis
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

Don't get me wrong. I like Japan and I like the Japanese people, but if communicating with some engineers from Kyushu was any indication, US politicians are crystal clear by comparison. I took a group of them around the US on a fact finding mission so they could learn how to run power plants with less staff. It took nearly an hour of conversation to figure out that no one would be laid off - they'd just allow staffing levels to drop.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by jackellis
        Don't get me wrong. I like Japan and I like the Japanese people, but if communicating with some engineers from Kyushu was any indication, US politicians are crystal clear by comparison. I took a group of them around the US on a fact finding mission so they could learn how to run power plants with less staff. It took nearly an hour of conversation to figure out that no one would be laid off - they'd just allow staffing levels to drop.

You would have done well IN Japan. Once this is understood and accepted for a fact of culture, it doesn't take long to learn how to cut down on the communication times. And a foreigner can often speed up the process if he knows how to do it. It is a little like using subtle psychology wrapped in cultural clothing.
        Last edited by leehljp; 03-23-2011, 08:41 AM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...