This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilDoc

"Officially" Retired

Too many health problems beginning last May with a ruptured lumbar disc, other things, then a new rupture in the same disc (not as bad as last year but...)

Called the company I work for and resigned effective last Friday. I'll continue to work for them on an as-needed basis, and sign up with a few other companies that do the same, and see how it goes.

Just hope I am not bored out of my skull. Happened a few years earlier than planned!
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I don't know if a "congratulations" is in order. Maybe it's best for your health. I've had to do a cutback for a number of health reasons. It's a hard pill to swallow so to speak when those limitations are debilitating. You may find some solace in enjoying what you can still do. That's what I do.

Comment

• luteman
      Established Member
      • Dec 2007
      • Northern Michigan
      • BT3100-1

I jumped at the chance to take "early retirement" at age 52. Already had my second career well under way. I've never regretted my decision and have thought many times, how did I ever find the time to do my day job? Believe me, you will not be bored or run out of things to do. Best wishes on your "new" life!

Comment

• SHADOWFOX
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • IL, USA.
        • DELTA 36-675

Congrats, Paul!

I am sure you'll have lots of projects that will keep you from being bored.

Kindest Regards,
        Chris

"The first key to wisdom is constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth." -Pierre Abelard 11th Century philosopher.

Comment

• herb fellows
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • New York City
          • bt3100

have thought many times, how did I ever find the time to do my day job?

My thoughts exactly! Believe me, you will not be bored.

I think it's kind of like a house: the bigger you get it, the more stuff you manage to put into it.

The more time you have, the more things you will figure out to do, and you might be surprised at the turns you take in figuring that out. It's an exciting new adventure! I do jewelry art work now, and I can tell you nothing was further from my mind when I retired.

Best of luck, you'll figure it out!
          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • On the TARDIS
            • BT 3100

Just take it easy and enjoy that retirement Paul.
            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• cork58
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006
              • Wasilla, AK, USA.
              • BT3000

Paul,

If ya ever get a chance to come to Alaska and want to do a little fishing or allot of fishing let me know. I could use your knowledge here in my shop, kind of a trade off, in my favor. I retired at the first of the year and love it. I have my own tens machine so you won't need to bring yours LOL!
              Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• TB Roye
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

Paul

Congrats on the retirement. I retired almost 8 years ago because of some health issues. I found it extremely hard to do my job physically and then some intraoffice politics came into play and I said I don't need this any more. I loved my job and the people I supervised and worked with but there comes a time. Pushing 70 now and am still active. Had surgery last fall for my Abdominal Aneurysm and they repaired some damage to the arteries in my legs at the same time so I am a little more active than I was. Still have a full plate but now I am in charge as to what, how much and when I do things. I have many interest so that helps some require being physical and others are for the mind.

Enjoy your time you have earned and deserve it.

Tom
                Last edited by TB Roye; 02-22-2011, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

Bummer to be 'forced' into retirement but enjoy the new found freedom.....
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• Turaj
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                    • BT3000 (1998)

Paul, I am not retired yet but I have a few friends who have retired and they all say they are busier than before so I really don't think you would have a problem being bored!!

Enjoy your retirement!
                    Turaj (in Toronto)
                    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                      • Grizzly G1023SL

You will love it!!!

I retired in August after 36+ years ... wish I had done it years earlier (if the money worked!) ... ain't nothing better!!! Enjoy!
                      "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                      Bade Millsap
                      Bulverde, Texas
                      => Bade's Personal Web Log
                      => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2003
                        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                        • BT3100

Paul,

After the Ad business crapped out after 9/11 and the dot.com meltdown, the agency where I was the #2 guy at, had to close their doors. With no possibility of another job in that, or any other field for anywhere near what I was making, I ended up (after going thru most of our savings) working at Home Depot for 2 years. My salary there for one week was less than I made in one day at the agency.

After a bunch of other menial sub-par jobs, I turned 62. Hurray, I signed up for Social Security. I really didn't want to wait for my 65th B-day as I wasn't sure the country would have any money by then. Luckily. with the exception of my currently broken ankle, my health is excellent, I'm now going on 64.

I still work 3 days a week as art director of a weekly local newspaper, and spend the other 4 days building jewelry boxes or cutting the heck out of my fingers.

I love this situation and even if our standard of life is diminished, no more Nexium for my GERD.

Maybe one day, My boxes will be salable at an affordable price and I can kiss the newspaper good bye.

Welcome to a hopefully less hectic life.

Bruce
                        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• pierhogunn2
                          Established Member
                          • Sep 2009

Congratulations, and get well soon

I just had a conversation with a Gent at the company that I work for, he just turned 70, and still comes in every day, this is his second Carreer, ( was a Drill seargent in USA) said he keeps coming because he likes to buy his Grandkids stuff that their dad, also in the army, can't afford to at the moment...

so keep up the good work, and enjoy the additional freedom

Comment

• MilDoc

Thanks folks. Right now I am limited by back pain, that hopefully will self-resolve over 2-3 months. Limits standing very long so shop work is out.

I have enough in a SEP retirement account to do well for 20 years and probably won't survive that long anyway. Plus the LOML (she really is that) plans to continue working for 3-4 years, plus we paid off the mortgage in Dec. Don't plan to apply for SS until I hit 65-66 (2-3 years) so I do believe we'll be OK.

Doc says the disc rupture is "only" 3mm, compared to 12mm last May, and should resolve. If so, SHOP TIME. If not then surgery again.

Oh well. I've already survived ALL male members in my family so I guess I got a few years left.

Got a question for those of you that sell stuff at craft shows if you don't mind:

1. How do you find craft shows?

2. Don't most (all?) charge a fee to be there? Do you sell enough to at least break even?

I would like to do that. I love meeting and talking to people.

It all depends on the next few months though. Just gotta wait 'n' see.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2003
                              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                              • BT3100

Selling at craft shows

Originally posted by MilDoc
                              Got a question for those of you that sell stuff at craft shows if you don't mind:

1. How do you find craft shows?

2. Don't most (all?) charge a fee to be there? Do you sell enough to at least break even?

I would like to do that. I love meeting and talking to people.

It all depends on the next few months though. Just gotta wait 'n' see.
                              Paul,

While I haven't sold at any shows, yet, I've done a ton of research.

1. What are you going to show/sell
                              2. What will be a general range of prices
                              3. will you take orders for items you have already sold out of.
                              4. Will you allow the customers to "customize" the item

The reasons for these questions will give you an idea of the "kind" of show you want to target.

Basically there are two types of "crafts fairs".
                              Type one the "open" show just charges you a booth fee, which varies on the amount of space and the location. You can see a huge assortment of stuff from inexpensive hand-made objects (clothes, jewelry, wooden things, etc).

If you are trying to sell items over a couple of hundred dollars, you probably won't do too well, too much cheaper stuff. Although there are some "open" shows that do have a bottom price requirement to keep the Chinese "sofa" paintings out.

The other and way more "elegant" and expensive to sell from is a "Jury type of Show". What this means is that all work is viewed by a board of members of the organization putting on the show.

Only the best stuff is allowed in. The good part is that both the seller and attendee isn't overwhelmed with stuff selling for $5.00 - $15,000.00.

They do charge more to exhibit in and are a bit "snooty" about who the maker's are. In a show like this, name recognition counts.

What I suggest you do is once the weather warms and he crafts fairs start up is to spend a lot of time looking at as many different shows as possible, you'll get a great sense of what's hot and what to charge.

The jewelry boxes I make, have to sell for at least $1,000.00 or I'll end up working for $4-5 an hour. and at that price, I'd rather give them as gifts. That makes me a lot happier.

Feel free to question the heck out of me, I've done most of the leg work for you, of course this was before I broke my ankle.

Bruce
                              "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...