• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

A Special Kind Of Tree

They are called "Shoe Trees", and they aren't the kind you put in a closet. They are more of a natural phenomenon, usually growing roadside.

One story clarifying the start of shoe trees came from Middlegate, Nevada. It went on to say that in the early 80's a young couple got married in Reno, Nevada. The new wife lost considerable money gambling, and the husband got angry. On their way home after some arguing, she wanted to walk. He said if you do you'll have to do it barefoot, and as he passed this tree, he threw her shoes into the branches.

Well, as the reasons for the shoes being there became a source of wonder, people thought that there might be some wonderful return for the giving up of shoes, kinda like a wishing well. The same couple returned to the tree and and pitched up their first child's shoes. Soon trees like that became the source of all kinds of shoes, and stories.

There are other stories and pictures of this unique type of tree...check it out here: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/set/shoetrees.html

• BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Around here, it's not trees but power/phone/TV cables that collect shoes.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
      Veteran Member
      • May 2007
      • Tacoma, WA
      • BT3000

When I was in High School there was a tree by a favorite parking spot that collected a different ladies garment.

Bill
      on the left coast

Comment

• scmhogg
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2003
        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
        • BT3000

The tennis shoes you see on power lines, are often used to mark gang territory.

Steve
        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

When I was getting short on my first tour in the Army in Germany, it was proper for us to toss our worst pair of boots into a tree behind our barracks. Must have been a couple hundred pairs of boots in the tree. Thing is, they had to be removed before every IG inspection, so none were very old. Squirrels loved them.
          Lee

Comment

Working...