Got Dish Network Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • 4187
    • Lexington, SC.

    #1

    Got Dish Network Today

    I had Dish Network installed today. I used to have Time Warner cable. TW just went up to $75/mth for non-HD programming. I got HD programming, a pretty similar list of channels for less than $50 in a bundle with my phone service and DSL. So I should save over $25/mth and get HD too.

    Installation took most of the day. The installer showed up before 8am (he called first and it was fine with me, I had been up over an hour). He left after 2pm. Most of the coaxial cable in my house - the runs to two of the three TVs - would not support the Dish signal. So we pulled new cable to one of them, where it was fairly easy, and used the one good one to get signal to the other receiver. The last TV is back fed a SD signal that goes on the "bad" cable to that TV. It is an old CRT set so that is OK. Running the new wire took awhile, mounting the dish took awhile (he was able to put it on the screen porch roof where I wanted), running the wire outside the house took awhile. The last time consumer was trying to get the receiver to work with the two CRT TVs it was hooked to (a second receiver feeds my one HDTV). They both work now but Ray, the installer, was running up and down two flights of stairs trying to find channels that would work for the TVs and allow them to see the receiver.

    Picture on the HDTV is really nice. All my local network channels are HD as are many others like HGTV, USA, TBS, TNT, Spike and ESPN (and many others). The HGTV is 1080i. The installer says many others HGTV including TW is 720. It doesn't make that much difference watching the evening news but I didn't love loosing the edges of the picture sending a conventional signal to the HGTV and Zooming the image to fill the screen.

    Picture on the CRT TVs is same as before, no surprise. One unpleasant surprise is the receivers have no outputs for the coaxial signal my old equipment uses. As a result, my DVD recorder, old DVD player, my son's TiVo, my sons DVD recorder and a VHS player are all sitting unattached. Everything except the TiVo is old and seldom used but I am still not sure I like loosing it. Ray managed to "create" a coaxial signal with splitters but that was part of the problem getting things to work. The TiVo has a component input but wouldn't recognize the signal when we tried using them. Not sure what is up with that. Ideas are welcome.

    Jim
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • 2638
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

    #2
    I'm somewhat interested in Direct TV and we've wired the house to accommodate HD signals, but the only place to put a dish that has an unobstructed view of the satellite is 100 feet from the house. We'd need a trench, conduit, and a heater to keep ice and snow off the dish when it snows up here.

    Maybe when we don't have other things to occupy our time.

    Comment

    • JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • 4187
      • Lexington, SC.

      #3
      I was probably somewhat lucky with the dish placement. I have two HUGE oak trees between the house and the satellites. But my house has a walk out basement so it is also tall. The spot the dish is at is at least 20 feet off the ground and far enough away I am getting good signals. Satellites are mostly around 70 and all come in well.

      Jim

      Comment

      • cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • 15216
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

        #4
        DirecTV with the bun dle...DSL/cell, with AT&T. I installed the dish and got 94%. Used standard coax with no problem. Then got a new LCD HD TV, but didn't order HD from DirecTV. Actually the picture was fantastic without it.

        When AT&T started to install Uverse we kept losing DSL. It went on for months until we finally went to Uverse. The install took about half a day, included HD, and did a back feed to one of 4 TV's. Like yours, the connections on the new TV are all there. For VCR's had to use separate audio and video, and the newer one with component. Wife bought a VHS to DVD converter.

        .

        Comment

        • JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • 4187
          • Lexington, SC.

          #5
          I think I will order some long component cables (15 foot) to send the component output of the Dish tuner to my VHS/DVD recorder and then the output of that device back to the TV. I am sure I will loose some quality in the signal but it will give me a way to play old VHS tapes on the rare occasion I want to and also to record a DVD which I also do but rarely. I will still have the blu ray with it's streaming and upconverting capability tied to the HDMI 2 input to the Samsung LED TV. Seems like it will work. Everything other than the receiver for the dish and the blu ray are in a cabinet beside and below the TV cabinet so I need long cables to make the connection (I have an 8 foot and it isn't close to making it). My son thinks he can make his TiVo work. We will see.

          Jim

          Comment

          • JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • 4187
            • Lexington, SC.

            #6
            My son got his TiVo working. He went to their website and it turns out they have a slick interface. You program the TiVo and it has this little light that works something like the remote to change the channel on the Dish receiver. It won't do two channels at once anymore but it works. Now if I get my DVD recorder/VHS hooked up, we will be in good shape.

            Comment

            Working...