• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Big Money Homes

While at the veterinarian today with the dog, the doc was telling me of one of his clients that is trying to sell her home. He said she was discounting it to $3 million. It's in an incredible development. There are some sports figures living there. The homes average $5 million and up, and about 20,000 sq.ft. and up, with a 3,000 - 4000 sq.ft. in-law house, and 4 car garages. Lot sizes are 2 acres and up.

I just had to take a ride through the area, and snapped a few pictures.

• RAFlorida
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
    • Ryobi BT3000

Now we KNOW where

CabinetMan really lives. Thanks for posting the pics. Which one is really yours?
    Figured it out, it's the bottom Mansion...

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

It's tough, when you have to buy the lot behind you, so your gymnasium roof, doesn't stick above the roof of the rest of your "house".
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• BobSch
        • Aug 2004
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Yeah, but who's going to clean it?

Like that's a problem if you can afford a shack like one of those.
        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Exactly Bob, and this is the reason none of us live in these mcmansion's...we all think practically first. We are a sensible lot, the folks that own these IMO are not. And my first thought after the wow had worn off, because they are beautiful buildings, even the one still under construction!, was God, after roofing it, how in God's name am I going to paint all of that!!! LOL
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• x00018
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2006
            • Cranberry Twp, PA
            • Sears BT3000 Clone

Finding your way

Do they have the "You Are Here" maps inside so you can get to where you want to go?

Comment

• smorris
              • Apr 2003
              • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I was reading an article yesterday that the McMansion was history and no one is buying them. Whole developments of these are going under and sitting there rotting with no takers.
              --
              Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• woodturner
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2008
                • Western Pennsylvania
                • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by smorris
                I was reading an article yesterday that the McMansion was history and no one is buying them. Whole developments of these are going under and sitting there rotting with no takers.
                One would think that, particularly here in the midwest where the economy is still pretty tough. Yet they keep building them, and people keep buying them.

Some of the homes around here make those in the pictures look like "cottages". I suppose people are building here because land costs are a bit lower - but a $10M house is really, really tough to sell in this area.
                --------------------------------------------------
                Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• cabinetman
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by woodturner

Some of the homes around here make those in the pictures look like "cottages".

Take a few pictures and post them. I'd like to see those homes.

Comment

• natausch
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2009
                    • Aurora, IL
                    • BT3000 - 15A

Was listening to a report on NPR this morning about the new economy and how people who are upside down on their homes ar "upset" about how long they have to stay in the house before they can sell.

One particular story got my goat. The husband had lost his job in construction and had to move to Texas for other employment. His wife and two children had stayed behind to sell the house, which really doesn't seem likely to happen since they need a $400,000 sale to get out clean. Their realtor thinks it might sell at $200,000. They have more financial woes since the wife had to quit her part-time job since the husband isn't around to look after the children while she works.

Boo freakin' hoo. They overbought a house they couldn't afford. The husband works in the trades and the wife as a part time worker, living within their means clearly wasn't on the agenda. My wife and I chose to buy a house we could support on one income in case either of us lost our jobs.

No sympathy for the people whose irresponsible behavior is the underlying cause of the economic troubles were in.

Comment

• os1kne
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Atlanta, GA
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by natausch
                      Boo freakin' hoo. They overbought a house they couldn't afford. The husband works in the trades and the wife as a part time worker, living within their means clearly wasn't on the agenda. My wife and I chose to buy a house we could support on one income in case either of us lost our jobs.

No sympathy for the people whose irresponsible behavior is the underlying cause of the economic troubles were in.
                      Also - no sympathy for the banks that enabled this type of irresponsible behavior.
                      Bill

Comment

• woodturner
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • Western Pennsylvania
                        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by os1kne
                        Also - no sympathy for the banks that enabled this type of irresponsible behavior.
                        I agree that people should not, and should not have "lived beyond their means". However, I don't agree that the banks were at fault for lending money. There was undoubtedly some impropriety in some cases, but in most cases the banks lent money based on representations from the borrowers. In many cases, these were "no doc" loans where the bank relied on the borrowers affidavit regarding income and assets. If the borrower lied, how is that the bank's fault?

One huge reason for the high rate of default in some states, notably the Western states, is that they are "no recourse" states. That means that the bank's recovery is limited to the home - they can't garnish wages, seize assets, or go after anything other than the home to recover their loss.

Most states are "recourse" states. If I default on my mortgage, for example, I am still liable for the money owed, even if the bank takes and sells the house. Suppose my house is worth $150K and I have a $200K mortgage. I default, and the bank sells it for $150K net. I still owe the bank $50K and they can garnish my wages, seize my savings account, and make other effort to collect the balance due. If I lived in California, for example, which is a "no recourse" state, they could not collect the $50K and that would be a loss to the bank.
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• cabinetman
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Originally posted by woodturner
                          I agree that people should not, and should not have "lived beyond their means". However, I don't agree that the banks were at fault for lending money. There was undoubtedly some impropriety in some cases, but in most cases the banks lent money based on representations from the borrowers. In many cases, these were "no doc" loans where the bank relied on the borrowers affidavit regarding income and assets. If the borrower lied, how is that the bank's fault?

One huge reason for the high rate of default in some states, notably the Western states, is that they are "no recourse" states. That means that the bank's recovery is limited to the home - they can't garnish wages, seize assets, or go after anything other than the home to recover their loss.

Most states are "recourse" states. If I default on my mortgage, for example, I am still liable for the money owed, even if the bank takes and sells the house. Suppose my house is worth $150K and I have a $200K mortgage. I default, and the bank sells it for $150K net. I still owe the bank $50K and they can garnish my wages, seize my savings account, and make other effort to collect the balance due. If I lived in California, for example, which is a "no recourse" state, they could not collect the $50K and that would be a loss to the bank.

This is getting way off the course of this thread. This particular development caters to sports figures that make literally millions of dollars per year. I wouldn't be the least surprised if the homes pictured were paid for.

Comment

• radhak
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2006
                            • Miramar, FL
                            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I have always had a fascination for houses like these, but more around the thought of how if I owned one of them, I could use the money so well once I sold it... !

Sorry to keep at the Off-topic, but Natausch, I wouldn't be as hard on them - if he loses his job and has to move location, then any sort of planning would not help; it's just that in today's scenario, selling a house is not just a matter of wish; the house has become a chained millstone... I can empathize because we are so close to that situation, and we were so circumspect when we bought our house in 2005!

Originally posted by natausch
                            Was listening to a report on NPR this morning about the new economy and how people who are upside down on their homes ar "upset" about how long they have to stay in the house before they can sell.

One particular story got my goat. The husband had lost his job in construction and had to move to Texas for other employment. His wife and two children had stayed behind to sell the house, which really doesn't seem likely to happen since they need a $400,000 sale to get out clean. Their realtor thinks it might sell at $200,000. They have more financial woes since the wife had to quit her part-time job since the husband isn't around to look after the children while she works.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                            - Aristotle

Comment

• pelligrini
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • Fort Worth, TX
                              • Craftsman 21829

Our architecture firm has done quite a few large houses. We've only got one big one being designed now. We have a couple future clients looking to design something smaller & newer then the houses they have now. They've been having a tough time selling theirs. Those houses aren't in the 20000 SF range, probably half that or so.

Good luck to your vets client. They are not going to have an easy time selling without some big discounts.

Quite a few of our previous clients have been downsizing over past years. All their kids have grown and they don't need as much space. Some are even moving into high end condos and townhomes so they don't have to deal with all the landscaping and related issues.
                              Erik

Comment

Working...