• Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Canadian Geese

Found this in the news.

http://www.thestar.com/article/83618...ese-in-the-u-s

What are these people thinking of? A little over 50 years ago, Canadian Geese were in danger of become extinct. Sure they get to be a pain and leave a mess but we keep doing everything to keep them here! There are better ways.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Reminds me of what my mother used to say when I was a little kid..."Now look what you've done". Kind of like a catch 22. Maybe come up with food styles like gooseburgers, southern fried goose, goose and dumplings, goose ala king, anything to create a meal for the homeless.

Comment

• Daryl
      • May 2004

Not just geese, I am in north central WV, on Ohio River. 50 years ago a white tail deer was a rare sight, if hit by a car it made the news. Now they come into my yard expecting a free lunch. Coyotes? those were the critters out west. They come in town now looking for a hand out. News now is that black bear are back in the area, several sightings on both sides of river.
      Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• herb fellows
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • New York City
        • bt3100

It's unfortunate, but that's learned behavior, not instinct. Someone somewhere along the line started feeding them, that's all it takes to begin the cycle.
        As the cartoon strip POGO stated many years ago, 'we have met the enemy and he is we'.
        You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Kristofor
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2004
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Canada geese, a successful extermination narrowly denied... Why couldn't we have imported an emerald goose borer rather than an ash borer from China? I like my trees much better than these evil birds.

They regularly close lakes around here for swimming because the geese spew so much crap that the fecal coliform loads skyrocket when a light rain washes it into the water. In some urban lakes I've read that the largest source of phosphorous is now from goose poop since it's been banned in home lawn fertilizer and various cleaning products.

Before dogs needed to be leashed, and kids were prevented from carrying slingshots I don't think these honking pests would have been nearly so dense in residential areas... Ah the good old days

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

The article mentioned letting the grass grow tall around lakes and ponds as a deterent to geese entering the water. Wouldn't that create a safe harbor for snakes? Or limit the use of the same lakes and ponds by humans?
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • On the TARDIS
              • BT 3100

Pappy, the Toronto wet lands that this article was refering to has been modified for the tourist trade. This also creates a invite to the geese. Since geese have developed into such a problem in T.O., eco steps have been taken to naturally reduce the numbers as best as they can with out moving to mass extermination. They even use dogs to make areas like the airport unwelcome for animals that cause a danger.
              From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
                Since geese have developed into such a problem in T.O., eco steps have been taken to naturally reduce the numbers as best as they can with out moving to mass extermination. They even use dogs to make areas like the airport unwelcome for animals that cause a danger.

When one problem begets another is evident at Miami International Airport with the influx of rabbits, which brought the vultures.
                http://www.sptimes.com/2003/07/10/St...rabbits_.shtml

Comment

Working...