• Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Overnight Backpack trip

Last night half our Scout Troop went on a overnight short trip. A good time was had by all in spite of the wind making the fishing no good. Skeeters were not too bad. Weather was mostly clear and warm. Scoutmaster is making it a habit to bring home made pancakes on each trip. This time it was sourdough cakes. I declare they were tasty! I'm determined to start cutting the weight from my gear! Good thing this was just an easy 700 foot elevation gain in about a mile of trail.

It was quite a surprise to find that two other local Troops were also camping farther along the same trail. So 3 of 5 local community Troops all independently went to the same trail at the same time. Our cool wet spring has kept the snow pack in the Cascades at the lower and moderate elevations.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Sweet! I miss the mountains—around here you don't want to backpack in July or August!

My son's Scoutmaster was an outstanding outdoor chef. I'd volunteer to go to Camporee just so I could sit in camp, wash dishes, and sample the vittles.

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut
      Scoutmaster is making it a habit to bring home made pancakes on each trip. This time it was sourdough cakes. I declare they were tasty! I'm determined to start cutting the weight from my gear!

Freudian slip? Cut the weight from the gear, (add to the person) one pancake at a time?
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

Sounds like fun, I really miss my scouting days. When I came into my boy's lives they didn't want to have anything to do with scouting. They have no idea what they missed out on. I really wanted to get back into it too.

The troop I used to be a part of went camping every month; rain, shine, sleet, whatever. Pack in, pack out even when the cars could drive up to the campsite. I got out around a little after our 200th consecutive campout. I got invited back to the 250th. I haven't seen anything about Troop 499 since. When I went out on the last one the dynamics of the troop sure had changed. We used to have a tent trailer, a gear trailer, etc. everything came out of the scoutmasters hatchback that last time.

I'm determined to start cutting the weight from my gear!
        Do some packing by yourself. You'll be amazed at what isn't really necessary. When pulling solo trips all the food, shelter, water, is on your back. I've done some solo packing in Yellowstone and the Beartooth. After the first day, quite a bit of the now deemed luxuries got left behind. Every little ounce sure does add up.
        Erik

Comment

• jackellis
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

My wife (aka, The Dynamo) leads backpacking trips every summer. In fact, those trips are almost more important than I am!

These days she brings along freeze-dried meals but when we met, it was almost home-cooked stuff and as good as any restaurant (especially after a long day hiking). If I wasn't such a slug, I'd join her this summer.

We just returned from a day of easy hiking off Mt. Rose Highway, with bright blue skies, some snow on the trail, and beautiful green everywhere.

Comment

• scmhogg
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
            • BT3000

I'm determined to start cutting the weight from my gear!
            I thought you said "rear".

Steve
            I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by scmhogg
              I thought you said "rear".

Steve
              LOL that's part of the point! Backpacking will shrink that given enough miles and elevation gain.

What I meant is that my pack is just too dang heavy and I need to get lighter weight gear, plus carry less. Ounces count and they add up quick! When I was younger and in much better shape the onces were simply not as much as a concern.
              Last edited by Black wallnut; 07-02-2010, 09:33 AM.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                Veteran Member
                • May 2003
                • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                • BT3100

I don't know about the rest of you guys, I personally HATE sleeping outdoors. Did it waay too many time in SE Asia.

And there, you can't have to worry about mosquitoes, even though the carry all sorts of evil stuff, the two legged insects are a heck of a lot worse.

Sleeping indoors with the AC is just fine for me!!

Bruce
                "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• steve-norrell
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • The Great Land - Alaska
                  • BT3100-1

Camping out?

Isn't that when you have to say at some second tier motel?

Regards, Steve

Comment

Working...