Aaaannnnd we are through...to the last 16!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Aaaannnnd we are through...to the last 16!

After years of waiting, and progressively improving, USA goes to the knockout stage.

In one of the most dramatic finishes I have seen, Landon Donovan scored that elusive goal in 'injury time' (ie, time after the 90 minutes to compensate for stoppage due to injuries) against Algeria.

And for a time it looked like the referees of the world had united to keep the USA out : two legitimate goals disallowed in successive games for the same reason - offside called when it was not.

This says it all : USA finally scores a goal the referees can’t dispute

I need a vuvuzela to sound off and celebrate !
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.bt3central.com
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

You can thank me for the win. Really.

My lab went to a local sports bar to watch the game. I was busy at work
      and didn't show up until the end. I walked in about 2 minutes before the
      winning goal.

I'm glad it turned out this way because no way could I do my job if I was
      labeled a jinx.

Comment

• Turaj
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
        • BT3000 (1998)

That was a great game and US deserved to win (although I was hoping Algeria - an African country - makes it to the second round). Algerian goalie certainly did his job and he was superb. The interesting part is that US finished first in the group ahead of England!!! (bragging rights?)
        Turaj (in Toronto)
        "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

Originally posted by Turaj
          That was a great game and US deserved to win (although I was hoping Algeria - an African country - makes it to the second round). Algerian goalie certainly did his job and he was superb. The interesting part is that US finished first in the group ahead of England!!! (bragging rights?)
          Ooooooh yeah! Or at least a hearty "neener, neener."

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• Turaj
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • BT3000 (1998)

... The interesting part is that US finished first in the group ahead of England!!! (bragging rights?)
            Well, the second round matches are being set. Germany vs. England & US vs. Ghana (Saturday afternoon). Should be great games and certainly a good chance for US to make it to the Quarter Finals.
            Turaj (in Toronto)

Comment

• jussi
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007

I'm not much of a soccer fan but have been watching quite a few games. That game with Slovinia was great. Except for the last call. I actually found myself asking friends that are fans more about the game.

They just need to ban to those vuvuzelas
              I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Well, the second round matches are being set. Germany vs. England & US vs. Ghana (Saturday afternoon). Should be great games and certainly a good chance for US to make it to the Quarter Finals.
                Yes - Ghana is definitely beatable, and then they'd meet Uruguay / South Korea.

Now if only they'd get better at anticipation : there were umpteen passes that went begging right in front of the goal, with the ball barely a few feet outside a header. The coach needs to take notice of that.

But this team is playing just as good as almost any other, other than the heavyweights (Brazil, Argentina, Netherlands, Germany). And of course better than England, France and Italy !
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• Turaj
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • BT3000 (1998)

Originally posted by radhak
                  ... And of course better than England, France and Italy !
                  Almost everybody played better than France and Italy
                  France was never my favourite (specially this time with their cheating) but I think the way they played (and behaved) was disgraceful not only to the French fan but all the World Cup fans. Looking forward to the games on the next round.
                  Turaj (in Toronto)

Comment

Working...