• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

I have been thinking about accessing my neighbors printer. (see above) How the heck am I doing that? The only thing I can think of is it's direct from the laptop to the printer but I don't have a wireless printer so I'm not sure how they are set up. It doesn't seem reasonable that I am connecting through their network and I know that from the desktops I can't see the printer, only from the laptop so my router is not somehow latching on to the printer. It seems that I'll have to look into this the next nice night that the signal reaches that far.

Bill
    over here in the rain

Comment

• Eagan
      Established Member
      • Feb 2006
      • bloomington, IN
      • rigid r4512

Originally posted by twistsol
      None of my neighbors are close enough for me to see their wireless networks. Mine is not password protected, but it only allows authorized MAC addresses.

My brother in law's network name is PigsInSpace. I never asked why.
      Pigs is Space was weekly skit on the Muppets show. Don't know if that is a link but is a possibility. Google came up with some other options

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Pigs_in_Space

Comment

• dkerfoot
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2004
        • Holland, Michigan
        • Craftsman 21829

I have shared this joke before, because it says everything I believe about network security:

Steve and Mark are camping when a bear suddenly comes out and growls. Steve starts putting on his tennis shoes.
        Mark says, “What are you doing? You can’t outrun a bear!”
        Steve says, “I don’t have to outrun the bear—I just have to outrun you!”

As long as you are not a particularly attractive target, all you have to do is be more secure than the guy next to you.

Doug Kerfoot
        "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
        "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
        KeyLlama.com

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Two outside networks show up on my list : JuliesGrandParents and AlbertosHP. Don't need to think much. Never bothered to see if they are secure or not.

My own might look unsecured for the casual observer, but I have restricted it by MAC addresses. Any new wireless device needs to be added to the list on the desktop (wired). Of course it does not give clear error messages - just says 'could not connect' .

Kristofer, we can only secure our end, right? We can't really worry about the other 999 hops - or did you have ideas on securing the transport (which I took to mean those very same hops)?
          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
          - Aristotle

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

I'm too far from my neighbors to receive their wireless signals.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• mikel
              Established Member
              • Jul 2006
              • philadelphia
              • bt 3100

I use my neighbors wireless all winter long at the shore house so I leave it on all summer long for them... no password...

...m

Comment

• mikel
                Established Member
                • Jul 2006
                • philadelphia
                • bt 3100

I use my neighbors wireless all winter long at the shore house so I leave it on all summer long for them... no password...

...m

Comment

• Cochese
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2010

WEP here. I've long had a wireless unit that's not WPA compatible. However, I don't really use it anymore so I should probably change over.

I have that **** key memorized.
                  I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

Working...