• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kavoom
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2010
    • Sears 21289

KS Wood Technology College

I was at work talking to a friend about my new saw and he told me about his kid going to the Pittsburgh State Wood Technology college in Pittsburgh Kansas. Stated as #1 in the country. I was aware of the school but not that course of study. His kid is getting a four year degree and when he told me about what he had to go through it's amazing. They have every tool ever made apparently. One of the courses, for example, was about wood species. The final test was to be blindfolded and having to identify wood by feel, smell and taste.

Sounds like an amazing place. I may try to get his kid over for some pointers this summer... He said there is no wood technology businesses in the area as the school does everything including rebuilding burned out structures etc. They are always looking and glom onto any challenge. That's what I want to do when I grow up.

Here's the link with video. Awesome!
    http://www.pittstate.edu/department/...logy/index.dot
    Kavoom
    Upside Down and Backwards
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I'm familiar with that school and that's a great opportunity. Another top school is the North Bennet Street School.

Comment

• germdoc
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Omaha, NE
      • BT3000--the gray ghost

I have a funny story about that. When I was practicing in Hutchinson, KS, I was taking care of an 18-y.o. kid with an unusual illness (sarcoidosis) which was stable but which would need follow up with a physician after he left for college.

I asked him where he was going, and he said Pittsburgh, so I said, "There are lots of doctors there. You won't have any trouble finding a doctor to follow your sarcoidosis."

He said, "Doc, you know I'm going to Pittsburgh, KS, don't you? There are about 20,000 people there?"

I said "Oh."

I have heard good things about their woodworking program.
      Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Kavoom
        Pittsburgh Kansas
        It's not PittsburgH, but Pittsburg (no "h"). To my knowledge, Pittsburgh, PA is the ONLY Pittsburgh in the world.

It's a pet peeve for those in Western Pennsylvania
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

Maybe someday, I will get back over by there. My grandfather had his electronics shop, in a town, just outside of it. His wife, had her nursing PHD, and did some sort of teaching there.

I always laughed and wondered is it Nurse Dr. or Dr. Nurse?

Do I remember looking at all the strip mines, drivng to there for Thanksgiving.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
            My grandfather had his electronics shop, in a town, just outside of it. His wife, had her nursing PHD, and did some sort of teaching there.

I always laughed and wondered is it Nurse Dr. or Dr. Nurse?
            There are a few answers to that...from Wiki:

There are several doctorate-level degrees in nursing: Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP or DrNP), Doctor of Nursing Science (DNSc, DNS or DSN) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Nursing. The Doctor of Nursing (ND) degree has been phased out and most universities have transitioned to the DNP. The PhD and DNS degrees are generally considered research-oriented degrees, whereas the DNP is a practice-oriented or clinical doctorate.[1]

Comment

• billwmeyer
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Weir, Ks, USA.
              • BT3000

Here you have to get the H our of Pittsburgh! It is spelled like was stated - Pittsburg. It is a great college and I graduated there. I work in Pittsburg and live 11 miles from there. Back in the early 60's it was rated #7 in Playboys party college list. It has calmed way down since then. A lot of the strip pits are gone. They have been leveled and housed built where they were.

The technology center is highly touted, but I didn't realize how great the wood technology was here. They do a lot with plastics, etc. They are as I understand it the only college with the mascot of Gorilla's. The population has been steady around 20,000 for years.

Linuxrandall what small town is the his electronics shop in?

Bill
              "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Kavoom
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2010
                • Sears 21289

I sincerely apologize for my H. It will never happen again.
                Kavoom
                Upside Down and Backwards

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by billwmeyer
                  Linuxrandall what small town is the his electronics shop in?

Bill
                  He had it in Frontenac. As he got older, he wore out more exhausts, due to driving the two houses (converted house) down, then walking them. (never got hot enough to burn out the moisture)
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...