Clear All
  • germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

Extreme bill-changing

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/loca...cc4c03286.html

This is really something. A guy walks in with $1 and leaves with $1000. Maybe the clerk learned to count money using "new math"??
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Wow, sounds like the cashier ought to be operating a broom instead.
    Erik

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

This is what happens when cashiers don't learn how to count back change, and to keep any "bill-breaking" separate from the transaction in progress. Nowadays, if the computer is down, they're all too stupid to function.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

This is what happens when businesses preach 'the customer is always right' and critical thinking isn't taught when kids are growing up. Sometimes the customer is not right.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• bigstick509
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Macomb, MI, USA.
          • BT3100

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
          This is what happens when cashiers don't learn how to count back change, and to keep any "bill-breaking" separate from the transaction in progress. Nowadays, if the computer is down, they're all too stupid to function.
          I've ran across way to many cashiers with the same lack of basic math skills, it still amazes me that retailers will hire people with little or no skill sets. Then again if you don't train and only pay minimum wage, they get what they are paying for.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Cubsfan
            Established Member
            • Jan 2004
            • CO.

I saw this on Penn and Teller's show once. After seeing that, I can totally see how this could happen.

Comment

• gerti
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
              • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Amazing the folks that run cash registers. Typical example: have to pay $3.12, give a $5 bill. Find $0.12, but not before the register already shows that the change is $1.88, and confusion ensues.

Or how many cashiers put your $5 bill away before giving out change. No proof anymore when you claim you gave a $20 bill. In Germany every cashier learns to live the money given outside the register until the customer accepted the change.

Comment

• herb fellows
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • New York City
                • bt3100

Wait a minute! This guy didn't walk out with a 5 or a 10 or even a 20. He walked out with $1,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can you possibly start a transaction with $1.00 and end up with $1000?" That is totally ridiculous.

How did this conversation go? 'You gave me $1.00, sir'. 'Oh no, you're mistaken, I gave you $1,000.' 'Oh, ok, sorry.'

REALLY?! How do you pull that off? There has to be a lot more here than meets the eye.
                You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• phi1l
                  • Oct 2009
                  • Madison, WI

Actually that seems like way too much to get without help from the cashier. I smell an inside job. .. Do they even have $1000 in cash in the register?

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by phi1l
                    Actually that seems like way too much to get without help from the cashier. I smell an inside job. .. Do they even have $1000 in cash in the register?
                    Yeah, definitely sounds fishy.

I don't remember how much money we started with in our tills at McDonald's
                    nearly 20 years ago, but at the end of my shift, I'd have more than $1000 in
                    it on many days--especially in the summer. I think I had less than $100 in my till when we started.

Each cashier had to count their tills after the shift and we couldn't leave until
                    the till matched what the register reported--or got close. I think I was off
                    by a few pennies only once or twice Surprisingly, management was less
                    annoyed when there was less money in the till than when there was more.

Paul

Comment

• phi1l
                      • Oct 2009
                      • Madison, WI

Originally posted by atgcpaul

Each cashier had to count their tills after the shift and we couldn't leave until
                      the till matched what the register reported--or got close.

Paul

Wow!!! I though being able to count would make you over qualified to be a cashier at McDonald's

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by phi1l
                        Wow!!! I though being able to count would make you over qualified to be a cashier at McDonald's
                        I'd say times have changed but most of us on the "frontline" at that McDonald's
                        were pretty competent considering almost all of us were 16-18yo.

Ours was located in Turnersville, NJ which was situated at the beginning/end
                        of the Atlantic City Expressway. In the summer we got hammered by the
                        normal lunch time crowds and by beach traffic. 6 registers open with 10
                        customers deep. Fairly stressful when it was happening but really gratifying
                        to take orders, make change, and fill the orders as fast as you could with a
                        smile. I don't know if the customers saw it that way, but most of us enjoyed
                        ourselves.

Now, I can totally understand Kevin Spacey in American Beauty. I would
                        totally rock that job if I ever went back.

Paul

Comment

• germdoc
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Omaha, NE
                          • BT3000--the gray ghost

Now, I can totally understand Kevin Spacey in American Beauty. I would totally rock that job if I ever went back.

Carolyn: Uh, whose car is that out front?

Lester: Mine. 1970 Pontiac Firebird. The car I've always wanted and now I have it. I rule!
                          Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• phi1l
                            • Oct 2009
                            • Madison, WI

I'd say times have changed but most of us on the "frontline" at that McDonald's
                            were pretty competent considering almost all of us were 16-18yo.

There's an old geologist joke: In Houston during the last oil bust cycle, after being laid off, a petroleum geologist with a Masters degree went in to apply for a job at McDonald's. They turned him down after glancing at the application saying, "All our petroleum geologists have PhDs".

I know that to survive very long in that environment you a lot on the ball, maybe not a PhD, though.

Comment

Working...