My son's school is moving up in the rankings

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • 3567
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

    #1

    My son's school is moving up in the rankings

    Playboy rates UW-Madison as No. 3 party school
    By Deborah Ziff

    http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/loc...cc4c03286.html


    UW-Madison's reputation is improving - as a party school, that is.

    The state's flagship university ranked No. 3 this year in Playboy Magazine's "Top Party Schools in America," up from No. 6 last year.

    "It's the best beer-drinking school in the country," according to the magazine. "Quote us." (We did).

    "Lager Nirvana" is the term the magazine coined for party streets State and Mifflin.

    The University of Texas at Austin and West Virginia University were ranked Nos. 1 and 2, respectively.

    This is the fifth time the magazine has released the rankings, and UW-Madison was ranked the top party school in 2006.


    [Disclosure: Debbie is the daughter of one of my colleagues. She only gets the most complex and challenging assignments from her paper.]
    Last edited by germdoc; 04-17-2010, 01:34 PM.
    Jeff


    “Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • 7091
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

    #2
    Looks like my Gators have taken a break from the ratings... They had very nearly retired the trophy over the last three decades or so...

    Comment

    • Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • 10490
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

      #3
      The 'Horns are #1. Maybe this is the start of a good year for them!

      But, then, Texas State (formerly Southwest Texas State) was #1 in one of the early lists. As far as I know, it is the only #1 ranking in the school's history....
      Don, aka Pappy,

      Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

      Comment

      • germdoc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • 3567
        • Omaha, NE
        • BT3000--the gray ghost

        #4
        Well, I do know my son has a good time, but he is also making good grades--he got inducted into the Engineering Honor Society yesterday--so I won't begrudge him a little fun.

        Even if I'm jealous...
        Jeff


        “Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

        Comment

        • pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • 4217
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

          #5
          I think it ranked pretty high in the late 80's and early 90's. Two of my cousins went there and I'm sure they would agree with playboy.
          Erik

          Comment

          • phi1l
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2009
            • 681
            • Madison, WI

            #6
            Back When I went the UW was the perennial No 1 .. the only competition was for No. 2.

            Comment

            • scmhogg
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2003
              • 1839
              • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
              • BT3000

              #7
              Jeff,

              The uptick in ratings happened after your son arrived. . . HMMM.

              Steve
              I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

              Comment

              • Kristofor
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2004
                • 1331
                • Twin Cities, MN
                • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

                #8
                UW:Madison, Arizona State, and Texas seemed to be the popular party destinations for kids from my high school class and that was 15ish years ago... Good to see somethings never change

                Comment

                • billwmeyer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • 1868
                  • Weir, Ks, USA.
                  • BT3000

                  #9
                  In the mid 60's when I was in high school, my local college came in at #7 on the list - Pittsburg State University (Kansas). It was a fun town and had a lot of cool cars on the drag at anytime. There were bars with large dances and live bands 3 nights a week. There was always something to do then. It sure has mellowed out. Plus there were other close locations that had a live Polka Band each weekend. I went for the Rock and Roll.

                  Bill
                  "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

                  Comment

                  Working...