• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilDoc

A truly sneaky email

Came from "UPS Manager Melanie Crabtree <manager@ups.com>"

Text:

"Hello!

Unfortunately we failed to deliver the package which was sent on the 24th of December in time
    because the recipient’s address is not correct.
    Please print out the invoice copy attached and collect the package at our office.

United Parcel Service of America."

Attached was a Zip file. Inside was an .EXE file.

Wonder how many will open that?

Not only is the text stupid, they didn't even try to reproduce the UPS emblem etc.

The .EXE was trojan_sasfis which has been circulated as an email attachment in many forms including supposedly from Facebook.

It is a "dropper"as it adds files, then goes on the net seeking updates AND other files to download.

Considered a "medium" threat, but who knows what could be downloaded in the future.

Anyone else seen this one? So patently ridiculous.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I haven't received that one, but I do get emails that say...so and so has a message for you, or wants to meet you, or has pictures for you (on Facebook). Then when you click on the link for Facebook, you have to sign up and give info to read the message.

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

They're really getting sneaky, aren't they? I can see a lot of people opening this one. I'll be letting others know about it. Thanks for posting.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

UPS doesn't know my e-mail addy. It is not collected from the shipper upon shipment if contact is made by phone or in person. That is a dead giveaway that this is a scam.
        Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 03-31-2010, 07:58 PM.

Comment

• Turaj
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
          • BT3000 (1998)

Got 2 of them last week. Like you said, the text was stupid and I would never open a "Zip" file without truly checking it. On a similar note, got an email (supposedly) from Facebook that said for "security reasons" they had to change my password and the new password was in the attached file (another Zip file). The text within that note was also in bad grammar and stupid. Of course that was NOT from Facebook so watch out for that one too!!!!
          Turaj (in Toronto)
          "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• parnelli
            • Aug 2004
            • bt3100

Originally posted by MilDoc
            Unfortunately we failed to deliver the package which was sent on the 24th of December in time
            because the recipient’s address is not correct.
            I know sometimes UPS might be a bit late with a delivery around the holidays, but 3 months?

If you're going to go thru all the trouble to mass send this stuff, you think you'd at least be more realistic with the date...

Comment

• Whaler
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Sequim, WA, USA.
              • DW746

I got one today from Wave Cable that looked authentic until you studied it, the tip off was that they asked for my e-mail address and password.
              Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

Working...