• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Adjusting to getting Senior

This in line with my other tread about the scooters. Those of you who are 65+, What have you noticed about your Mental and Physical faculties that have changed and what have you done to adjust.
    I will be 68 in Sept. I find I am not longer comfortable in heavy Freeway traffic. I tend to leave more space between me and the car in front. I don't go to San Francisco as much as I used to because of traffic (and some political reasons also) same with LA.
    I have no trouble driving to Boise ID by myself to see the Grandkids and drive the speed limit (MPH)

I gave up driving my 1950's vintage Midget a couple of years ago after a close call and came close to going on my head, had it up on the Rt front wheel only.

I find myself staying off of ladders as much as possible and try to be much more attentive when using power tools.

Mentally I use the computer and being Geeky to help keep the mind active.

I am probably having more physical issues more than mental issues, back and feet and leg problems, to many years work on concrete floor. hearing aids, race cars. Don't seem to cognitive issues yet, LOML may disagree.

Still have many interests and hobbies so that helps keeps me going. Not as many big yard or honey do projects any more though. Go to the gym 4 morning a week body willing try to stay in some kind of shape.
    I still volunteer at church and in our Neighborhood Watch group, was help building scenery with one of the Theater groups here in Sacramento, but that became almost a full time job and to hard physically. We also provide day to our soon to be 6yr old granddaughter who live in town and we have since she was 6 weeks old. Oh! I have become very good at taking naps especially in the afternoon as I get up early. We also have 3 dogs who need their excesses

Tom

Tom
    Last edited by TB Roye; 03-27-2010, 01:28 PM.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by TB Roye
    This in line with my other tread about the scooters. Those of you who are 65+, What have you noticed about your Mental and Physical faculties that have changed and what have you done to adjust.

Tom

It's a philosophy in youth that is hard to grasp, that there will be a time when things change. I just started to collect SS, but have had a realization for a few years that I'm becoming more limited in my physical abilities but still think like a 20 yr old.

I've always been a very active physical person. I can still muscle a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 plywood onto the table saw, but set it on the long edge and use a panel lifter to slide it up and rock it over. I try to configure mechanical advantages when lifting heavy cabinets and lumber.

What's changed my routine is some of my physical handicaps. I take daily medications for a heart condition, and I'll experience an all of a sudden wave of tiredness, like I was injected with a sleep drug. I have to concentrate on grasping things with my fingers and hands to maintain grip due to arthritis, tendonitis, and loss of feeling.

I don't have a problem driving, as that is a high for me. I had developed an acute awareness from the days of road racing motorcycles and cars. On long trips, I do get a bit weary due to the monotony.

For extended times of exertion, like cutting the grass, my COPD makes it very difficult to keep up my wind. I get used to the limitation but go as long and hard as I can. Two years ago I participated in a local Army reserve training event and ran the 100 yd dash in 12 flat. I was kinda purple and panting after that, but still beat a lot of the young guys.

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

I'm 72, Tom. I find myself driving faster than ever because I don't have as much time left to get there. Seriously, like you, I leave more room between my car and the one in front of me. I've been taking my daughter to Chicago for physical therapy once a week, and I don't cherish the driving in heavy traffic, but I handle it well.

I've been taking care of my daughter's kids, ages 1 and soon to be 4 for the last 4 months, due to some physical problems she's been having. At the end of the day, I'm really tired, with most days being 7 to 11 hours long for me.

Physically, I'm probably in better shape than most others my age. I have minor problems with a shoulder and I have carpal tunnel syndrome, although it's not really bad either. I notice my legs get tired a lot easier than they used to, and I don't get on the roof very often any more.

Mentally, I'm aware of the fact that I'm not a kid any longer, and it will take longer to heal if I get hurt, so I'm reasonably careful with whatever I'm doing

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

LOML says that I am getting a "little" more irritable when she asks me to do something - especially if I am doing something else at that moment.

The reason is, IMO, I don't feel that I am able to multi-task as much and as efficient as I could 10 years ago. In contrast to this - I have been getting more organized, more focused on one project or thing. I like to find my tools, not look for them! Finish a project, not have 4 or 5 overlapping. I used to get a total project in my mind including measurements before starting. In the past, I "might" write down the measurements on a half sheet of paper at the most, and have several projects going at the same time.

I cannot keep all of the measurements in my mind now. And I cannot simultaneously run two or three projects effectively.

Instead of multi-tasking - I am moving to the direction of more intent focus, direction, organization, completion - as a package - in order to not be frustrated in having to keep track of so many things simultaneously. But I also find that my work or projects taking a more refined, focused, detailed professional feel and look - and so does LOML and others. I used to be concerned about the "big picture" in both work and leisure, but now I tend to focus on the details, so that nothing gets left out.

As to driving, Yes, I leave more space also. As mentioned in the post on the other thread though, when I look from side to side, I tend to start to drift unconsciously; I don't like that.

Change does happen!
        Last edited by leehljp; 03-27-2010, 09:03 PM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• herb fellows
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • New York City
          • bt3100

Well, I'm a spritely 62, and I have the ladder problem also. I have a 24' ext ladder, I no longer extend it and 12 ft makes me nervous these days.

Night driving, which I used to relish, has become something I prefer not to do.

On the heart meds also, and I have to be careful about exerting myself too much.

If you're going to the gym 4x a week my hat is off to you. you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• RodKirby
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
            • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

3 weeks away from 68

All the "automatic" stuff that now requires conscious effort:

- Balance - need something to lean on to put pants on!
            - Picking things up (pressure)
            - Bending down near something to hang onto (you have to then get up!)
            - Being aware of muscle recovery time...
            - Ladders - ONE step at a time (both feet on the one step). Up & down!
            - Not grunting getting in/out of the car
            - Barely contained road rage encountering IDIOTS - especially when I'm on the bike
            - Always having my sentences being finished for me
            - Shop assistants yelling at me - they think the grey hair makes me deaf!
            - General lack of patience

If I didn't have the Shed and the bike, I'm not sure what would happen

Fundamentally, I'm a very contented guy. Notwithstanding the above, my list of "good" things is very lenghthy
            Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• tseavoy
              Established Member
              • May 2009
              • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
              • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

I will be 73 on my next birthday, and I have a lot of the symptoms already mentioned.
              Hate driving at night. One eye is due for cataract surgery and waiting for the other eye to get bad enough also.
              Very cautious on a ladder. I hire out the gutter cleaning and window cleaning now.
              With bigger projects like rebuilding the deck and building a studio for my wife, I hire a carpenter to help.
              When working hard, I have to pace myself carefully or else will become overtired and the time to comeback is longer. This became all too evident when rototilling the garden a couple days ago.
              I don't have nearly the drive I once had in building things like houses, shop buildings, and boats.
              Getting up from a deep squat is very difficult without some thing to hang on to.
              I have put on some weight which is not good. Give up beer? Nawww

Tom on Marrowstone

Comment

• jackellis
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

Gee thanks guys. I'm just a kid by comparison (about to turn 56) and I didn't want to hear any of this. However, I too am feeling the pain.

I had to work on the floor bent over yesterday morning for three hours (swapping motherboards, if you must know). When I was finished, I felt like I'd been beaten.

Getting old s**ks, but it's better than the alternative.

Comment

• tommyt654
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2008

+1 on the ladder situatiion

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

My oldest sister who is 8 years older than me has been complaining about old age since her mid 50's. She has alway been on the skinny side, always cold and always talking about when she dies.

Well, about 3 years ago, I suddenly detected a huge turn around in her attitude. I asked her what happened. She said "Well you know that I have been teaching Sunday School for umpteen years."

Me: "Yes, I knew that."
                    Her: "Well, I have always been teaching people 20 and 30 years younger and it made me feel so old."
                    Me: "So, what is different now?"
                    Her: "I am teaching the geriatric class and it makes me feel so much younger!"

Moral of this story - If you feel old, go hang out with someone older!

ROD - I am 5 years behind you but I do most of those now myself! Especially this one: Bending down near something to hang onto (you have to then get up!)
                    Last edited by leehljp; 03-28-2010, 10:08 AM.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• rcp612
                      Established Member
                      • May 2005
                      • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
                      • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by leehljp
                      Moral of this story - If you feel old, go hang out with someone older!
                      Help ---
                      I can't find that person.
                      Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• Ed62
                        The Full Monte
                        • Oct 2006
                        • NW Indiana
                        • BT3K

That reminds me of a time when one of our neighbors, a 90 year old man, was telling me about his stay in a nursing home. He said it wasn't all old people in there, there were also some young ones. He told me about a young woman who he really felt sorry for. She had been in there for rehab, and the kid couldn't have been a day older than 65.

Ed
                        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Hoover
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2003
                          • USA.

Back in 2004, I suffered a severe double concussion in a fall. Part of my cerebellum is no longer functioning. I now have vertigo, and do not climb ladders any longer. I am just 62 YO. Yes getting older sucks, but am aware of my limitations now.
                          No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Ed62
                            The Full Monte
                            • Oct 2006
                            • NW Indiana
                            • BT3K

Originally posted by Hoover
                            I now have vertigo
                            If your vertigo is very severe, and you have attacks often, send me a PM.

Ed

Comment

Working...