• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • codaman33
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2004
    • Houston, TX, USA.

american woodworkers website blog

Hey, I have a questions for you guys. What do you think about American Woodworker Magazine's website? Does anyone use it here? I am just curious what everyone thinks here. Please chime in. I am trying to prove a point. Thanks.
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

I take the magazine (along with Wood, Popular Woodworking, and Woodworkers Journal), and I like to peruse the website. I like the feel of the website, as well as the articles and other content they post there. Was there anything more specific to your question?
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• codaman33
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2004
      • Houston, TX, USA.

I was talking to a friend, and he was curious what makes a great blog, especially like this one. I was trying to inform him what I like about this one, and American's came up in the conversation. So I figured I would just throw it out about just blogs in general. So maybe a better question is why do you use, not just read, any blog that you use. What makes a good blogging website? Understand?

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I think you mean a 'forum', not a 'blog'.

BT3Central is essentially a forum, and we don't have a 'blog' per se within here; on the other hand, http://americanwoodworker.com/ is a broader website with a bunch of blogs within it, and even a forum.

While their website is okay, their forum is very primitive and even a turn-off. Their software and layout seems geared for displaying advts on both sides of the screen! Their 'member blogs' a tad more informative, albeit cludgy in appearance.
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• codaman33
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2004
          • Houston, TX, USA.

Originally posted by radhak
          I think you mean a 'forum', not a 'blog'.

BT3Central is essentially a forum, and we don't have a 'blog' per se within here; on the other hand, http://americanwoodworker.com/ is a broader website with a bunch of blogs within it, and even a forum.

While their website is okay, their forum is very primitive and even a turn-off. Their software and layout seems geared for displaying advts on both sides of the screen! Their 'member blogs' a tad more informative, albeit cludgy in appearance.
          I never thought about it that way though. I always used the term forum and blog interchangeably. Learn something new everyday.

Then let me change my questions to what makes a good site that people actually participate in and exchange useful information in woodworking? And maybe this questions is only interesting to me, but I am pretty curious as to what others think about stuff like this. Call me weird, but maybe it is just the marketing side of me.

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

I get the magazine, and even see their emails. I hardly ever open them. I almost never look at the website.
            Erik

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Originally posted by codaman33
              Then let me change my questions to what makes a good site that people actually participate in and exchange useful information in woodworking? And maybe this questions is only interesting to me, but I am pretty curious as to what others think about stuff like this. Call me weird, but maybe it is just the marketing side of me.
              Lots of things come to mind.

For me, it is the ability to find new content (since my last visit) quickly, and to very quickly scan new content by subject, picking what is interesting to me.

Also, the ability of the site to self-host photos and other attachments is great, especially for newbies (that might be challenged by uploading photos to a 3rd party site and then create links).

Finally, a good layout that keeps things organized is important, too.

I don't think it is any surprise that vBulletin is so popular. They offer all the features I like in a single, consistent package.

Comment

• jussi
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007

If it's a forum then it has to do with the forum members. Which is why I like this place so much and is my first stop (after craigslist) for all things WW. That's not to say all the forums I visit are like this. I also follow mma and those forums are total opposites if this. It all has to do with ur audience and recognizing what they want.
                I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• charliex
                  • Mar 2004
                  • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
                  • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

BT3Central is user friendly, informative and many other computer positive things. Thank you to all who built, maintain and monitor the site for that. The main reason it's my home page and I visit often is people. Like my Spring Valley neighborhood, you are friendly, connected and helpful. In February we invite our neighbors for a "come as you are" morning coffee. It allows everyone to see their friends and Caryl and I enjoy watching them visiting and reconnecting. I would enjoy doing the same for members here. LOML might not find the conversations interesting but I definitely would. So if you are looking to relocate, I recommend SV especially if you have an 8" or larger jointer to share.

Chas

Comment

Working...