• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Custom VS Storebought

A client provides me this picture of a three legged cocktail table in laminate and wants to know if I can beat the store's price ($1150). Of course not. Where do people get the idea that custom work is less expensive than production work?

I did mention to the client that the table would be a real beauty in wood. He never asked the price.

• pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by cabinetman
    Where do people get the idea that custom work is less expensive than production work?
    I'm not too sure where they get the idea either. Maybe they figure that there might be a savings in getting around the overhead and markups in the stores. Most don't really perceive a difference in plastic covered chipboard and hardwood either.

I had a coworker show me a couple end tables asking if I could make something like it and what I would charge. Although, I said that I'm still just an amateur and to insure that status I will only accept payment in beer, just you getting the materials needed will be more than those are listed for.
    Erik

Comment

• pecker
      Established Member
      • Jun 2003

I'm probably not skilled enough to fabricate that, but it might take $100 worth of mdf and formica to make one. So it might be interesting if you could get a thousand dollars in labor costs from him.

I'm being facetious, as I don't know what your time or talent is worth. But for an amateur like me, it might be worth attempting.

Comment

• Shep
        • Nov 2008
        • Columbus, OH
        • Hitachi C10FL

Just my .02 cents, but I think that is one ugly piece anyway. If I was to atempt that I would suggest an alternative design that would be more elegant and easier to fabricate.
        -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

Hmmmmm
          so do you steam bend that MDF to make those curves?

Bill

Comment

• docrowan
            • Mar 2007
            • New Albany, MS
            • BT3100

I agree with Shep. That thing is hideous.
            - Chris.

Comment

• pecker
              Established Member
              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
              Hmmmmm
              so do you steam bend that MDF to make those curves?

Bill
              MDF is so cheap you could just glue a bunch into a 6 x 6 and bandsaw three curved legs out of it. Then attach them to the top.

I'm making this sound easy I'd probably end up spending all the money remaking everything 6 times until I got it right.

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by pelligrini
                I'm not too sure where they get the idea either. Maybe they figure that there might be a savings in getting around the overhead and markups in the stores. Most don't really perceive a difference in plastic covered chipboard and hardwood either.

I had a coworker show me a couple end tables asking if I could make something like it and what I would charge. Although, I said that I'm still just an amateur and to insure that status I will only accept payment in beer, just you getting the materials needed will be more than those are listed for.

When your income is from woodworking, your choice in the workload can't always be what is easy to make. When the bills are due and you have a potential project that looks like it will be a PITA, or that it may be beyond what you think your talents are, you can take it on, or let it go. As long as the client likes what he/she wants made, I don't have to think it's attractive.

That is the uniqueness of the business in that anything can walk in the door. My feelings are that if someone else can make it, I'll figure out how.

Comment

• jackellis
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

My wife convinced me we should buy furniture for our walk-in closets. Sensible because right now they have no shelves or drawers - everything is lying about in plastic bags.

The furniture was delivered last week. Every piece had exposed dowels inside - some worse than others. One had peeling edge-banding and had obviously been made on a Monday or Friday. Instead of pairs, all four pieces were identical, which doesn't work in the design we used. I was not a happy camper. Two pieces were picked up by the distributor yesterday.

We're not in a position to buy custom furniture or cabinets right now. On the other hand, when a "reputable" manufacturer ships pieces that are no better than ones I could build myself, I have to question whether I should have waited, at least for my closet.

Comment

• jrnewhall
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Oct 2005
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • Ryobi 3100

Originally posted by docrowan
                    I agree with Shep. That thing is hideous.
                    Hideous doesn't quite say it.

You should have said yes I can beat the price, $2,500 and you have to sign a contract to never tell anyone who made it.

Comment

• Shep
                      • Nov 2008
                      • Columbus, OH
                      • Hitachi C10FL

Just curious, but what would you charge to build somehting like that?
                      -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2006
                        • Minneapolis, MN
                        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Well, you could offer to have your friend buy it from the store, and then have him/her pay for you to cover it with a wood veneer...

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Shep
                          Just curious, but what would you charge to build somehting like that?
                          It would seem obvious to me that part of the design is in context of the "grain" and that would have to include the wood being of burl or wood with very unusual grain patterns of some type. Plain wood - would not cut it, IMO. Therefore over $2000 for wood alone, maybe twice that. $20,000 minimum for a table with grain pattern or burl.

Now if you want a plain pine with joints noticeable like a walmart put-together . . .
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• BobSch
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
                            It would seem obvious to me that part of the design is in context of the "grain" and that would have to include the wood being of burl or wood with very unusual grain patterns of some type. Plain wood - would not cut it, IMO. Therefore over $2000 for wood alone, maybe twice that. $20,000 minimum for a table with grain pattern or burl.

Now if you want a plain pine with joints noticeable like a walmart put-together . . .
                            Then it's only ten-five, right?
                            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Independence, MO, USA.
                              • bt3100

Originally posted by leehljp

I looked at the picture several times, and the pattern on the laminate, made me think of chipboard.
                              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...