Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Anyone use custom orthotics?

I've seen several "What types of shop shoes do you wear?" and actually
    bought a pair of Redwing boots because of it.

The boots are comfortable but not as fashionable for everyday wear like
    sneakers. Yeah, I think sneakers are fashionable and where I work, they are
    appropriate.

I have low arches and the solid sole of the Redwings was good but recently
    I noticed some arch discomfort as if the boots were giving out on me. I've
    had them 2 years but really only wear them for shop time (sometimes) and
    if I'm doing heavy yard work. I really expected them to last longer.

We got 2 dogs last year so I walk an extra 2 miles each day with them and
    my feet have really begun to suffer. I bought these Brookes Beast running
    shoes which got great reviews from bigger guys (I'm 235-240lbs) with over
    pronated feet (too much inward roll) or low arches. I don't run but the shoes
    were great for walking the dogs and for walking around the lab at work. Just
    recently, they've started to peter out, too, after only 2 months! They were
    as expensive as my Redwings.

Short of having shoes cast out of concrete or lead, can anyone make a
    recommendation for a good, long wearing shoe that doesn't have the soles die
    on you or a good orthotic I could use? I don't want to toss out my Brookes
    or Redwings because I feel the overall shoes have a lot of life left in them and
    they were dang expensive.

Yes, losing weight is an option and I'm actively working on that.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • khf314
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2008
    • Sunland, CA (Los Angeles)
    • Craftsman 21829

I wear custom orthotics made by a podiatrist. They are not cheap (~$300) but make all the difference in the world for comfort. The biggest change I can see is the callous on my feet does not build up.

I also need 5E shoes and the brands that come in this width are very limited. I like New Balance shoes - they wear very well for me. If you or any other reader needs wide shoes consider ordering from Hitchcock (wideshoes.com).

As far as your shoes lasting, my advice would be to get several pairs that you like and rotate them. Keep cedar show trees in them when you are not wearing them. I started doing this about 5 years ago and I'm getting much longer wear life out of all of them rather than the 6 months when I was wearing primarily one pair.
    Kris Freyermuth
    "Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat."

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

LOML has tried several styles of shoes and sneakers. She now buys Chung Shi shoes at Foot Solutions. There they custom fit inserts for her other shoes, and the Chung Shi's. This has been the best relief.

Comment

• phi1l
        • Oct 2009
        • Madison, WI

Shoes have a designed life based on the nuber of miles the have on them. A knowledgeable sounding shoe guy at REI told me that walking/running/crosstraining shoes are expected to last for 300-400 miles. at that point the soles are shot, & no longer absorb the shock like they used to, even if they don't show much wear. replacing the insole with a new one or an orthotic can extend that distance a bit, but not very much. I decided to test that idea & started wearing a pedometer & recording the total mileage on the last new pair of walking shoes I bought. I now have a little over 400 miles on them & I can tell that they don't absorb shock like they used to,... time for new shoes

Comment

• steve-norrell
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • The Great Land - Alaska
          • BT3100-1

I have to wear one of these on my left leg due to an ankle injury that hasn't responded well to either rods and screws or fusion.

I had lots of problems finding shoes that would fit over the brace and had tried several modifications of boots and shoes that usually only worked marginally well. I even trying buying two pairs of shoes, one size for the right foot and a larger size for the left. That didn't work out that well either and it was more expensive than I thought was reasonable.

I have since found a walking shoe model from Rockport that fits both feet with a single size and is reasonably comfortable, even when working in the shop.

You also should insist that your orthopedist and orthotics tech pay close attention to making sure that both legs are about the same length - - account for any differences in length caused by added wedges, braces or pads. Failing to do so is an invitation for back and hip problems.

I strongly second khf314's suggestion of getting several pairs and rotating them. Also, as noted elsewhere, they last about six months before needing replacement. Finally, I use those rubber floor mats in the area around the table saw and work bench in the shop and that also helps a lot.

Good luck, regards, Steve
          Attached Files

Comment

• jaybee
            Established Member
            • Feb 2006
            • Regina, SK, Canada
            • BT3100-1

I too have >$300 custom orthotics. My orthopedist gave me a strict set of requirements for suitable footware to put them in, and when I found a great shoe, on sale, I bought several. I also put them in my trail runners and high top hiking boots when we go geo-caching in a non urban environment. Without the orthotics I would be in pain from a pinched nerve.
            Just taking a moment for a quick inventory: glasses, hearing aids, stents and orthotics. Not quite the 6 million man, but close enough for my tax bracket.

Comment

• sweensdv
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • WI
              • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

[QUOTE=khf314;453392]I wear custom orthotics made by a podiatrist. They are not cheap (~$300) but make all the difference in the world for comfort. The biggest change I can see is the callous on my feet does not build up.

I also need 5E shoes and the brands that come in this width are very limited. I like New Balance shoes .............
              QUOTE]

+1. I also wear custom made inserts and find that the New Balance walking shoes work well for me. The style that works the best for me is their MW676. Probably not what you want to hear but according to my Podiatrist a pair of walking shoes should be replaced about every six months. It isn't so much that the soles wear out as it is that the structure of the shoe itself starts to break down. His advice was geared towards me but I also walk about the same amount everyday as the OP.

Comment

• Nil
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2007

I have very flat arches, and without the insoles I wear, my ankles hurt a lot. I looked at the custom ones, and they were about $600 for me. The podiatrist also recommended a brand called "Avos" that were carried at my local running shoe store. I had to ask for them by name as they didn't have them out on display. They're a 3/4 length insole and made of a rigid imperable plastic. They were about $90.

Basically the podiatrist said to fit an insole is it should exactly fit the shape of your arch/foot when your foot up in the air & relaxed. For me, the avos ones were exactly that. I wear them in my running shoes (saucony) and soccer shoes. They don't fit very well in dress shoes. I've used them for 2-3 years now, and they don't show any sign of wear.

Comment

• FL Buckeye
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • WC Florida and Crossville, TN
                  • BT3100, Grizzly 1023SL

+2 for New Balance. I use them for most walking, alternating between two pair. They usually last for a year that way on hard pavements. Then they're retired to yard work for another season of use. I usually buy them on sale and get two pair at a time. I always liked Redwing, mainly because the local Redwing dealer was great at helping with a good fit. Even had a pair resoled. But I also weight more now and not sure Redwing would work out again.
                  Lanny

The older you get, the better you used to be.

Comment

• downtheroad
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2007
                    • So. California
                    • Ryobi BT3000

You might want to check out the shoes at http://www.zcoil.com/

They are kind of strange looking, but I know a few people that swear by them. A friend of mine who works on heavy equipment at LAX airport was really having trouble with his feet at work. I told him to check out the Z-coil site. He ended up going to a store to try them, and ended up buying 2 pairs. He loves them.
                    Tony

Comment

Working...