Lumber Yards In Canada

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • 10627
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

    #1

    Lumber Yards In Canada

    Rod's thread got me to thinking. If I want to buy lumber in Canada, is it sized to the centimeter, meter or both? In the US I buy lumber by the foot. Converting something like 162" is not as easy as converting, say centimeter to meter. Or maybe the lumber yards are smart enough to sell it in centimeters, rather than meters.
    David

    The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Turaj
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • 1019
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    • BT3000 (1998)

    #2
    All the lumber yards around me sell it either by "board foot" or "linear foot". Sheets are also measured in feet (such as 4 by 8) and their thickness is presented by inch such as 3/4 although on the ply it is clearly stamped 19mm.

    As a side story, I grow up with metric system and was (am) very comfortable with it until we bought a house and got into woodworking and had to get used to Imperial measurement system. As someone else had mentioned the trades supplies are using the foot and inch as standards!
    Turaj (in Toronto)
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

    Comment

    • cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • 15216
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

      #3
      The sites I've visited list construction grades as in the US.
      .

      Comment

      • Richard in Smithville
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • 3014
        • On the TARDIS
        • BT 3100

        #4
        My local lumber yard sells in feet and inches......but then again we're still tens years behind the big cities
        From the "deep south" part of Canada

        Richard in Smithville

        http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

        Comment

        Working...