Well, I leaned my lesson the hard way! (WARNING, GRAPHIC PICS)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Turaj
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    • BT3000 (1998)

Wish you a very quick recovery and thanks for the reminder.
    Turaj (in Toronto)
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• Shep
      • Nov 2008
      • Columbus, OH
      • Hitachi C10FL

At least you still have your didgit.

The biggest thing I've learned from being a part of this site is safety. I've learned a bunch through posts like this and I hope others do the same.
      -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• germdoc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Omaha, NE
        • BT3000--the gray ghost

It would have looked nicer if you had used a roundover bit...

<sorry for gratuitous joke at your expense>

Seriously, thank goodness it wasn't worse. Hope it heals up quickly!
        Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• JSUPreston
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Montgomery, AL.
          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Thanks for letting all of us know about this. Between you and Rod, I'm definately going to be safer for a while in the shop.

First thought that came to mind was if you had some sort of guard on your router table. Then again, it seems that we have to take the cussed things off to do 1/2 the stuff we want, or that the guard is so badly made that we are almost safer without it. I know that's how I've felt with 2 table saws I've owned. The current one, the Delta contractor saw with the Bies, had a blade guard that hasn't been right from day one. I've got to do a little investigation, but I think it is warped slightly towards the fence.

Sorta back on topic, my router table (Bosch/Craftsman clearance special) had a guard, but it is nothing more than a piece of plastic that attaches to the fence and sticks out a little over the bit. It will keep me from dropping my hand directly onto the bit, but if I'm pushing something through, I can still get nicked. The bit guard I had on a little tin/plastic table that came with a Skil router years ago had a little better setup-a cup that actually sat over the bit and lifted as material was pushed through.

Here's hoping that your finger heals. I know from nearly taking my thumb off years ago with some z channel that it can take a while for all the feeling to come back. Just take it easy, and think of us when you open that little bottle the doctor gave you.
          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Hope you recover fast.

Call me paranoid, but I don't do anything other than cut/rout/sand wood when a machinery is on. As soon as that work is done, I turn it off. When I want to cut a bunch of pieces (same length, same rip-width, etc), I keep all of them arranged for easy pickup and drop.

I think this is because I am relatively new (and wary) to WWing - since 2006; And, I started with community college ww-ing classes, where the instructor would throw a fit if any machine was running beyond the most essential moment; I remember once somebody kept a drill press running while he rummaged in his wood pile for the workpiece - the instructor stopped him, stopped all work in the shop, called us in and lectured us on how important was the 'OFF' button !

But nothing brings that training back into focus as a couple of pictures - they are 1000 words each, no less .

Take it easy, and hope your loved ones forgive you for the scare you must have given yourself and them; I am sorta convinced that my first accident is gonna be the last because SWMBO would sell off my tools before I return from the ER (she's hinted that a couple of times) !
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• 180x
              Established Member
              • Dec 2006
              • North Augusta, SC
              • Craftsman 21829

I have badly cut and knocked off the finger nail on my right middle finger due to kickback on my router table. I still have the scars (although the nail has practically grown back) and had to glance @ it while reading your post.

It is said the lessons we are most likely to remember and not repeat are the ones that are most painful and/or expensive. I can attest to the truthfulness of this!
              Dwayne

Comment

• Rand
                Established Member
                • May 2005
                • Vancouver, WA, USA.

I have been tempted to do the same thing at times. Thinking "I just need to make a little adjustment, why bother turning the thing off?"

Thanks for the object lesson. I hope you heal up quickly!
                Rand
                "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

At least you walked away with the finger mostly intact. As others said, it could have been much worse. Print and post the pictures so you wil see them when you walk in the shop and apply the lesso to ALL tools, powered or not!

There is a curved 'scar' on the door of my router table, courtesy of a kick back. I had another piece of plexi that I could have made a new panel of, but the damaged is a visual safety aid!
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• jussi
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007

I was using the TS today and had to make multiple rip cuts. I was almost tempted to get lazy and just let it keep running while I reached around and move the cut pieces out of the way for the new ones until I remembered your post. Thanks for reminding us not to be lazy. Hope you have a quick and complete recovery.
                    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• PhilofKayDu
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Aug 2009
                      • Northern Indiana
                      • BT3000

Ouch

I hope you heal soon. I think any WW that has been at it a while has scars. Phil

Comment

• PhilofKayDu
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Aug 2009
                        • Northern Indiana
                        • BT3000

Heal quickly

I got mine back in the 80's. My left hand slipt off a toggle clamp I was using as a handle. 1 , 1/2" carbide tipped bit in an overhead pin router at 20000 rpm. 9 stitches for me and I still have my finger. With the grace of GOD. Phil
                        Last edited by PhilofKayDu; 02-27-2010, 02:49 AM.

Comment

• jabe
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Hilo, Hawaii
                          • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Sorry you had to learn the hard way, hope you recover fast. When I taught HS woodshop, I taught my students to always turn off & unplug the tool b4 making any adjustments or changing of blades or cutters. For portable power tools, I taught them to wait till it stops b4 putting it down. If they got caught breaking the rules without getting injured, they had to do 25 pushups b4 they could continue working in the shop. It was a small price to pay and a good reminder.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Weir, Ks, USA.
                            • BT3000

Ouch!

Man, I hope that heals fast! That looks terrible. The Router is a tool that still scares the heck out of, and so I don't use it as much as I should.

Bill
                            "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...