• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Anyone have an internet-capable TV?

It's been probably 12 years since I bought a TV and the technology has changed considerably since then. For example, I guess TV's talk directly to Netflix and YouTube and other online services now. That sounds pretty cool to me -- and a step in the direction I think we're moving in broadcast entertainment -- so we're considering it.

Anyone have one of these? Opinions? Like it? Worth it? Anything to look out for?
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • phi1l
    • Oct 2009
    • Madison, WI

I don't thin Netflix talks directly to the TV but it does talk to a Tivo or you computer I think..

you can get TV tuner cards for you computer that are pretty good too.

THen there is the SlingBox which goes the other way, broadcasting your TV signal to any of your computers over the internet.

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

My big screen, Blu Ray, and Wii console are all Internet capable. Never have tried to use it though. ATT Uverse has some internet features also. I did use the Internet to down load upgrades for the Blu Ray and Wii, but that is about it. Not be Movie goers or users so we don't use Netflix.

Tom

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

My TV doesn't but my new Samsung Blue-ray player does. I believe my Boss' new Samsung LED TV does. The player has a Netflix app, Pandora Radio, Blockbuster and YouTube app. The last two showed up in a firmware upgrade. It's all operated with the remote. Which can be a pain when entering search queues in Youtube or setting up Pandora. No keyboard on the remote.

I absolutely love the streaming Netflix. You still need to add items to your instant queue on a computer, but you can browse all your selected titles on the TV. The quality is pretty good. They don't offer as many of the latest releases streaming though. I'll stream stuff on my home office computer or another upstairs too.

The Pandora radio is pretty cool. I don't use the Blockbuster one and the Youtube gets used rarely. Pretty cool tech all around.
        Last edited by pelligrini; 02-10-2010, 10:04 AM.
        Erik

Comment

• Kristofor
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2004
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

None of my TVs are network attached but my buddy's Samsung is. It's nice to have those apps (Pandora, Netflix, widgets, etc.) if you otherwise wouldn't.

That said, the Netflix interface on the PS3 & XB360 seem superior (speed/category selection) to me.

I understand why Netflix access is being built in to all of these devices, and that doing so does not add to the cost, but in a modern entertainment cluster it's pretty redundant. In our main-floor viewing area we have 2x game systems, an HTPC, and BlueRay player that are all Netflix enabled, and that's with an old (~2.5yr) HDTV and Receiver that don't have access built in.

Comment

• Mowgli
            • Jan 2010
            • 35 Miles From Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
            • BT3000 - NIB from 10/92!

I'm pretty sure my Panasonic P50G10 does but I didn't get it for that.
            The G10 series is awesome and I highly recommend it.
            Here's the link for that series http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1128052

My Samsung Blu Ray player does but I just use USB memory sticks for updates.

http://www.avsforum.com/ will have any audio/video info you could want.
            "I'm quite illiterate, but I read a lot" - Holden Caulfield

Comment

• sscherin
              • Dec 2003
              • Kennewick, WA, USA.

There is supposed to be a Samsung blueray player out soon (this month) with built in WiFi wireless card..

Netflix for the Wii has been announced.. The disks will ship this spring..

Sony and LG both sell LCD's with Netflix capability..
              Some older models can do it too but take an $80 network adapter.

Think about your components and what output types they support..
              Get a TV with the inputs you need.. I had the old DVD hooked up with S-Video.. The new TV don't have one but I managed to scrounge up a component cable..

The Kids DVR only does S or composite.. Not Component.. Same with their V-smile.. I had to find them a TV with a few extra non-HD inputs.
              Don't short yourself on HDMI inputs.

When it comes to cables don't fall for the hype.. It's a digital link so all the extra gold plating and shielding isn't going to make one tiny bit of difference. The one bundled with your new Blueray will work just fine. Same for TOSLINK (optical) cables.. If it passes light it's good.. No need to blow $50-$100 on a monster cable..
              Last edited by sscherin; 02-11-2010, 04:04 PM.
              William's Law--
              There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
              cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by sscherin
                There is supposed to be a Samsung blueray player out soon (this month) with built in WiFi wireless card..

The one bundled with your new Blueray will work just fine.
                The Samsung Blueray I have has a slot for an optional Wifi adapter. I think they run $50-$70 though. I already had cat5 pulled to the location.

My player didn't come with a HDMI or any other cables.

Most anything anymore doesn't include cables. I'm thinking it's more of a retailers prefrence so they all can sell you their marked up cables.
                Erik

Comment

• FL Buckeye
                  Established Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • WC Florida and Crossville, TN
                  • BT3100, Grizzly 1023SL

I don't have an internet ready TV but I do connect my laptop to it via HDMI cable and watch most all sports over the internet. I can get ESPN360 for their broadcasts and use myp2p for the others. Also use hulu and Hallmark for movies. You can get a 6ft HDMI cable at Harbor Freaight for $12.99.
                  Lanny

The older you get, the better you used to be.

Comment

• sscherin
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Kennewick, WA, USA.

Amazon Basics 6' HDMI $6
                    http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-H...5950561&sr=8-3

I got mine today.. works great and has a 1 year warranty..
                    I also got the $6 Toslink optical cable.. Looks like a good cable with a thick protective cover.

FWIW all the BlueRay players at Costco come with a cable.
                    William's Law--
                    There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
                    cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• natausch
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2009
                      • Aurora, IL
                      • BT3000 - 15A

We have a LG 42" LH50, which has software to support Netflix, Youtube, Vudu and is capable of using our dedicated hard drive to stream movies and view photos, etc. It hosts Yahoo Widgits, so if you need to check weather or such it can be useful, but we rarely use them since we have a netbook that we keep in the living room.

It is connected directly to the internet through a Wireless-N bridge that sits in the entertainment center. The only other device it share this bridge with is our Xbox, which does also offer Netflix and social networking, however, you have to sign up for Gold and we don't play online enough to need to pay another $3 a month for that service.

Netflix streaming is probably the most useful feature. The movies aren't brand new releases, but there's enough to fill the gaps between disc delivery. The main pitfall though is you have to add a movie to your watch instantly queue before you can watch it on the TV, you can hold up to 7 movies or TV series in your queue at a time.

Movie quality is fine, but few titles are HD. The best use we've found is for catching up on past seasons of shows, like 30 Rock.

The Youtube interface can be frustrating, since you have to use the remote to search for videos you want to watch. After that being able to watch on a large screen is very nice.

The Vudu service is hit or miss. Some movies aren't available to rent in HD, only to "buy." We've only used it a couple times and the quality is decent on the HD movies.

Download Speed: This will depend on your wireless router or if you're hard wired the speed of your service. We have DSL and the Wireless-N delivers around 60mbs. Movies typically start within a minute and download in the background while you're watching. We've had to wait for the service to catch up maybe once or twice, very rare.

The main thing we wish the TV could do would be to use Hulu or the network's website to view last week's episodes of certain shows. The only viable solution we've devised is to connect our netbook to the TV with a VGA and Mini cable for picture and sound.

Comment

• jziegler
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2005
                        • Salem, NJ, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Kristofor
                        I understand why Netflix access is being built in to all of these devices, and that doing so does not add to the cost, but in a modern entertainment cluster it's pretty redundant. In our main-floor viewing area we have 2x game systems, an HTPC, and BlueRay player that are all Netflix enabled, and that's with an old (~2.5yr) HDTV and Receiver that don't have access built in.
                        You are assuming that these TVs are all being used in an entertainment center. I'll be looking for one with Netflix in the future as a master bedroom TV. We don't want all that extra stuff in the bedroom, but being able to watch the occasional Netflix movie would be nice.

Comment

• HarmsWay
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Victoria, BC
                          • BT3000

My Samsung TV has internet and also uses the network widgets for weather, youtube, etc. which I don't find terrible useful. I DO like that I can share media direct from a PC. The PC runs a small file sharer software (provided by Samsung) and the TV finds it. Great for doing hi-rez slide shows directly off the PC.

Comment

• ehillen
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jan 2009

Sony W Series

I got one last thanksgiving 52" for $1200. Does Netflix, amazon and dozens of other Internet based stuff. TV has an RJ45. I had to run cat5e across basement; a wireless bridge would've probably been ok though.

I use amazon and netflix. For the most part it works well though it sometimes "stalls" then resumes - not so bad.

I like it because I have more choices for movies over just cable companies selections.

You can buy blue ray players that do the same then you'd go through that way (as opposed to direcly into tv). This seems like a better solution since the only tv's I found with internet directly were more $$

Comment

Working...