• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

A Disaster Averted

Well, two disasters. A bit long, but a bit of back story. In June '06 our basement flooded. So I jackhammered up the concrete drive that led down into the basement and put in the patio. There is an existing 20" square hole at the bottom that is the drain and drains to a drywell. At the time I built the patio I buried 1.25" black pipe and stubbed a threaded male fitting through the new patio wall. The idea was to hook up a pump when needed that could pump out through the new line. Well, that was never used, we never needed it.

I have two pumps, the big one that was supposed to connect to that line and a little one that pumps through a garden hose. After all the rain last November, the rain this month and the 6" of snow then rain all week I checked the hole earlier. It was getting full so hooked up the little pump. It didn't want to come on. So, off to Lowes to get the parts to hook up the big pump. I got back, went down the patio steps to check a fitting and stepped into 1" of water. I had visions of the basement flooding, so after much swearing I jury-rigged the big pump into the drain line. All the while I had visions of the 4 yr old line under the ground being plugged or something. Went back to hook it up and noted that the little pump was now running. Was about to step off the bottom step into the water again and realized that

a) the little pump had been running when I had just stepped into the water to check the fitting
    b) the extension cord was lying in the water

That outlet is on a GFCI so in theory if there was a problem it would trip but I still got lucky. I also have 1" thick rubber soles on my boots, dunno if that helped.

The big pump is working fine. Even has a float switch so I can leave it plugged in overnight. Oh and the extension cord is now safe - raised up and under a bucket.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

So I'm guessing we will not be having roasted coonskin for dinner...

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Nope. However, I realize it was my own d@mn fault. I didn't expect the thing to flood out in 20 minutes while I was at Lowes though. The water was an inch or so below the top of the drain when I left.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Thankfully, you're okay. That could have been a really bad experience.
        Richard

Comment

• charliex
          • Mar 2004
          • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
          • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Happy to hear that you are still with us. I found this interesting because I had a GFI that kick out on a circuit that serves the garage/shop and kitchen. Before I started to open boxes I thought I would disconnect anything that might be causing it. When I finally got to the drill press I noticed that the extension cord was laying on the floor and the plug/receptacle was in a very damp spot. When I unplugged it the problem went away. Then I plugged it back in, raised it off the floor and eliminated the problem. I would think that yours laying under water should have tripped the breaker. Just a thought.
          Chas

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

Interesting, the submersible sump pump we have on the duplex in Tacoma, at the bottom of the drive into a basement garage, is not on a GFCI. The pump instructions clearly states in several places to not plug it into one.

Y'all remember now David, we want you toasty warm not just toast!

Bill

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Bill, I realize having a pump plugged into a GFCI is not ideal for obvious reasons, but all the outlets I have that are convenient are GFCI protected. I would have to pull an extension cord from inside the house or shop to get one that isn't.
              David

Comment

Working...