• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

U-verse Hookup Question

We're getting U-verse installation tomorrow for TV and internet, and I'm wondering about some details. We now have Direct TV, which is a dish outside, with RG-59 antenna cable fed to the inside to a Hughes box.

What is the specifics to the U-verse connection. First of all, what exactly is the cable they use . I understand it's a fiber optic doo-wah. Is it a semi-rigid cable like RG-59, of similar diameter, or what? If different, does our existing antenna cable get removed?

So, I suppose whatever cable they use gets brought in from the outside somewhere (like maybe the power pole, where our power and phone lines come in).

I would just like to know what to expect to facilitate the installation. Thanks for any info.
  • turkeywire
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2008
    • Pearland, Tx
    • Old Craftsman contractor (Grandfathers)

If yours is like the one I had it will go like this. It is only fiber optic to the main junction point, regular phone line from there. It will run into a rather large gateway that is wireless capable. For the tv they use the same coax as all the rest, they may install new ends. Let us know how you like it.

Carl
    Last edited by turkeywire; 02-03-2010, 08:31 AM. Reason: Add more: They won't remove anything

Comment

• bigstick509
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Macomb, MI, USA.
      • BT3100

Please let us know how the install goes. I've been thinking about switching from Comcast to U-verse. With the research I've done I seem to remember that they can use coaxial or Cat5 for the runs between the gateway and the TV boxes.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Around here it is the same as Carl said. No fiber to the home, yet.

Comment

• bdk5
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2004
          • Chicago, IL, USA.

The above is correct. Fiber only runs to the boxes on the street. From there, the data is transmitted over the standard copper phone line to your house. It comes into your NID (network interface device?). From there, they will run CAT-5 to the residential gateway (essentially a modem/wireless router). Everything then comes off of the gateway: TV, internet, and phone if you sign up for it. The connections to the TV set-top boxes can be made using either the same coax used for DirecTV (the most likely scenario since the tech can just use the cable already running through your house) or CAT-5.

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

It is like others have said. Depending where you COMCAST Cable is and where you phone enter the house, will determine how the install it.
            I was lucky enough to be able to run CAT5 through out the house. Everything terminates in my den and on my Computer desk which is a closet that has been converted to office use. In the picture it shows a Residential Gateway(RG) and an extra port box. The CAT5 Cable in the lower left of the wall outlet box is the cable that goes out through the attic, into the garage and out to the Telephone box on the side of the house. The telephone system uses the regular in the wall boxes but is VOIP. The only thing is if the power goes out you Telephone will not work as it is tied into the rest of the system outside. If you have Cell phone you are ok in an emergency. The system is set up for both wireless and wired network. The Yellow CAT5 by the phone is for my son's family when they visit as his work laptop is not allowed a wireless connection. All of the CAT5 runs for the TV's were run through the wall using the same wall box as the RG45 cable from Dish/COMCAST, so there was no cutting extra holes just new face plates with CAT5 and Cable jacks on the plate

We love the system and have no problem other that a few power outages.

Tom
            Attached Files
            Last edited by TB Roye; 02-03-2010, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Working...