• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Retail Store "Hall Of Fame"

If there is a retail store "Hall Of Fame", I vote for Sears. In the early 50's, Sears Roebuck sold a car (Allstate), right in the store. That sort of broadens the conception of "general merchandise".

I can't think of another retail chain that has been so diversified for so long. Sears Roebuck/Sears has been a household name. With all the corporate buy outs I hope they leave the stores as is. Somehow seeing Craftsman tools sold in KMart makes me a bit sad.
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Walmart sells a bit of everything, except cars. Although you might be able to get them through Sam's Club. Costco sells everything, including cars and at least in its location here keeps a few cars parked outside the doors. They just haven't been around as long as Sears.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

And here I was thinking Allstate was an insurance company.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Well the old joke about the new guy making one (large) sale, to a guy whose weekend was shot, had to be based on some store.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

It is a shame that Sears is not the same store that it used to be.
          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• germdoc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Omaha, NE
            • BT3000--the gray ghost

In the 40's or 50's they bought the Harmony guitar company, at the time the largest seller of guitars in the US, and sold Silvertone guitars through their stores. I myself had one when I was a kid.

It was the only store in Chattanooga that had an escalator when I was growing up...
            Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Alex Franke
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2007
              • Chapel Hill, NC
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
              If there is a retail store "Hall Of Fame", I vote for Sears. In the early 50's, Sears Roebuck sold a car (Allstate), right in the store. That sort of broadens the conception of "general merchandise".
              The also sold whole houses. The "kit" would be shipped by rail to be assembled on site. A friend of mine up in Virginia had one.
              online at http://www.theFrankes.com
              while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
              "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                Veteran Member
                • May 2003
                • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                • BT3100

What I really miss is their catalogs, toilet paper just doesn't have any of the drama.

Bruce
                "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2007
                  • Tacoma, WA
                  • BT3000

Lets not forget that they sold houses too. It came in a boxcar and some assembly was necessary. That and at one time I expect that they were one of the worlds largest supplier of toilet paper and outhouse reading matter. My father said that the only glossy pages were the harness section and you reached it about mid-winter, cruel irony.

Yes, there are a number of stores today that do sell a wide variety of merchandise, but I don't think that they have as diverse a selection as Sears had nor do they have the impact on life, especially rural America as Sears and Roebuck had. Today, I think Amazon has the impact on society that Sears and Roebuck had in their heyday. Just like Amazon today, then everyone had a Sears and Roebuck catalog and everyone ordered from it from the comfort of their own home.

Bill
                  i wonder did sears ever have mail-order brides?
                  Last edited by Mr__Bill; 01-24-2010, 01:42 PM. Reason: I just have to learn to type faster....

Comment

• tommyt654
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2008

As I recall in the late 60,s and 70,s Montgomery Wards also sold motorcycles in their store, I know I bought one of the dirt bikes for like $500, But for the life of me I can,t remember the brand name, It was a piece of junk, but I learned a lot on it before it self-destructed, Then I bought a C-Z and the rest is history.

Comment

• tommyt654
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2008

Well, That didn,t take me long pulled out the old scrapbook and found a pic of me on it jumping some whoop-de-doos and brought back my memory(fading rapidly nowadays must get out more), It was a Mojave 360 or 380, Italian made junk bike that I literally ran into the ground, Monkey Wards sold a lot of different things back then I think they were Sears-Roebucks main competition back then
                      Last edited by tommyt654; 01-24-2010, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• Hoover
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • USA.

Originally posted by tommyt654
                        As I recall in the late 60,s and 70,s Montgomery Wards also sold motorcycles in their store, I know I bought one of the dirt bikes for like $500, But for the life of me I can,t remember the brand name, It was a piece of junk, but I learned a lot on it before it self-destructed, Then I bought a C-Z and the rest is history.
                        I believe their brand was the "Riverside". I gave my grandson a Riverside minibike, funny thing someone who had the bike before me put a Sears motor on it.
                        No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Daryl
                          • May 2004

I remember the local Montgomery Wards had a pet shop, sold bears and monkeys along with the dogs and cats. Probably other exotics there too, just a long time ago.
                          Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2003
                            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                            • BT3100

Sears also sold rifles, shotguns and ammo, don't think they sold pistols here in NY.

Bruce
                            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• eezlock
                              • Feb 2006
                              • Charlotte,N.C.
                              • BT3100

retail store " Hall of Fame"

Sears and Roebuck used to be, at least in the '50's and '60's, a type of store
                              that adopted the slogan ..." if we don't have it, you don't need it!" They had
                              just about anything / everything that most people around here needed
                              or wanted.

Comment

Working...