• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Recycling Ctr Takes Monitors But Not TVs

I hope some of you electronics experts out there can tell me why the local recycling center takes computer monitors of all types and sizes (CRTs, LCDs, etc) but will take NO televisions at all of any size or kind. I thought that a computer monitor was the same as a tv without a tuner. Is there something in the tuner that makes them shy away. I don't get it but I'm probably missing something since electronics isn't my thing.
    Richard
    Richard
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

There is probably money to be made in computer monitors but not TVs. That would be my guess.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

Live in California, bought a new Monitor yesterday. $17 recycle fee paid to the state. This doesnt' go to those who recycle the monitors but to the Agency that overseas the recycling. Don't know if it covers TV's or not. Probably the Recycler doesn't get any thing for TVs Just checked California Chargers a fee for TV's and Monitors. The Law is many pages and as far as I can tell the money stays with the Agency. Another reason to by in another state.

Tom
      Last edited by TB Roye; 01-22-2010, 10:50 PM.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Around here, I know of a couple places, and they sometimes take SMALLER tv's. Part of the issue that I am aware of is:

So many people have tv's larger then the monitors they deal with (they do charge extra for larger then 17" monitors)
        Lots of the tv's have wooden cabinets, and other things that they are not set up to recycle (think console tv's with speakers)
        Monitors, generally don't hide the screws to disassemble them, the way (again think wooden) tv's did.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I've seen some recycling centers that take both. It may be the amount of what metals and components (that are hazardous or valuable) can be separated, or maybe the glass issue.

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

Perhaps it is a size/weight issue? I know our 32-inch Sony was said to weight 125#. Everyone that lifted it (including the guys that delivered it) claimed it weighed at least 150#.

And that was only a 32". 36" CRT's were popular as well. So you gotta have lots of guys around w/ good backs to carry all that weight around.

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

If recycle centers don't take them, how do you get rid of them?
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                Veteran Member
                • May 2007
                • Tacoma, WA
                • BT3000

Originally posted by leehljp
                I expect that many people break them up and hide it in the garbage!

Here we can drop off one but have to pay a fee for the other, I forget which is which.

And if I don't take the Christmas tree to the recycling center today I'll have to pay a fee to drop it off.

Bill
                it's rained so much i swear the ocean is in flood stage

Comment

• phrog
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by leehljp
                  I paid $9 to an organization having a one-time drive to get rid of three OLD tv's. You had to deliver the tv to a predetermined location and pay them $3 each. The money went to charity and the tvs went to a recycler who was going to break them down for gold, etc. I really didn't resent the fee but was curious as to why the local (govt) recycle center won't take them. I don't know what I will do with future failed tvs.
                  Richard
                  Richard

Comment

• phrog
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2005
                    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by TB Roye
                    Live in California, bought a new Monitor yesterday. $17 recycle fee paid to the state. This doesnt' go to those who recycle the monitors but to the Agency that overseas the recycling. Don't know if it covers TV's or not. Probably the Recycler doesn't get any thing for TVs Just checked California Chargers a fee for TV's and Monitors. The Law is many pages and as far as I can tell the money stays with the Agency. Another reason to by in another state.

Tom
                    Do you mean you have to pay a recycling fee on the front end when you buy the thing? What if you don't ever want to recyle it? Do you get your $17 back? (That last one was rhetorical.) Richard
                    Last edited by phrog; 01-23-2010, 01:35 PM.
                    Richard

Comment

• phrog
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2005
                      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                      I expect that many people break them up and hide it in the garbage!

Here we can drop off one but have to pay a fee for the other, I forget which is which.

And if I don't take the Christmas tree to the recycling center today I'll have to pay a fee to drop it off.

Bill
                      it's rained so much i swear the ocean is in flood stage
                      Isn't it a little dangerous to be foolin' around inside those things? (TV's and monitors; not Christmas trees.)
                      Richard
                      Richard

Comment

• phrog
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2005
                        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by crokett
                        There is probably money to be made in computer monitors but not TVs. That would be my guess.
                        I would have thought the money as far as gold, etc. would be about the same but then I know little about electronics.
                        Richard
                        Richard

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2007
                          • Sunshine State
                          • BT3000

And people wonder why folks just drive out to the middle of nowhere and toss this kind of stuff out of the truck...

Comment

• phrog
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2005
                            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                            And people wonder why folks just drive out to the middle of nowhere and toss this kind of stuff out of the truck...
                            Problem is, it's becoming harder and harder to find "the middle of nowhere."
                            Richard
                            Richard

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2007
                              • Sunshine State
                              • BT3000

Originally posted by phrog
                              Problem is, it's becoming harder and harder to find "the middle of nowhere."
                              Richard
                              Wish that were true... Unfortunately, "the middle of nowhere" is apparently the 2-acre lot behind my house...

Comment

Working...