• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

%#@*&% Shredder

LOML bought a new shredder before I could try to fix the old one. The old one isn't that old, but didn't get the job done. She tells me to throw it out. Well, since I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, I can't see throwing out something if I can fix it.

It seems she was oiling the shafts of the cutters, and paper shards were all impacted in the movement causing a drag. So, I attempted to dismantle the head, and it looks like after 30 minutes it may take a while. Maybe I can clean everything out...maybe not. If this bit of maintenance will make it functional again my time spent may worth the effort.

So, is there a deduction to be made with making the decision of trying to fix it, or just pitching it?
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Pitch it, or at least get rid of it. Ever heard of freecycle? It will be worth it to someone to take it and try to clean it out. Although it all comes down to whether you think your time is worth it to fix the old one.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

I was thinking of fixing it for a back-up. When it worked it was pretty good.

Comment

• alpha
        Established Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Owensboro, KY, USA.

I agree with David's first two sentences.

I disagree with David's last sentence because of what you said in your third sentence. Just do what she said and you'll keep peace in the home.

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by alpha
          Just do what she said and you'll keep peace in the home.

If I fix it I'll be a hero, and my hubby points go up.

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

My personal experience has been that shredders, particularly the ones made for at-home use are designed poorly. It's easy to jam them, and once jammed, many-a-times they sorta hobble that point on. You seem to have had better luck than me, but it had to run out ...

I've finally given up on my latest home unit, but am unable to throw it out, because SWMBO doesnt' like the idea of "throwing something out before it provides its money's worth"...try figuring that out..!
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by radhak
              I've finally given up on my latest home unit, but am unable to throw it out, because SWMBO doesnt' like the idea of "throwing something out before it provides its money's worth"...try figuring that out..!

That's exactly my thoughts. If the motor went paflooey...then I would just trash it. Even then, I would cut off the cord and save it.

Comment

• phi1l
                • Oct 2009
                • Madison, WI

I would give cleaning it out a try..
                there's only 3 things that can go bad with those.
                1) The motor could burn up..
                2) The blades get dull
                3) it gets gunked up by someone putting too much oil on the thing, due to 2 above.

SO I would clean the c*** out of the blades. If the condition recurs, Dismantle it & use the motor in your next stroke of genius invention.

I love freecycle, I just picked up a $500 mountain bike that just needed need tires. But I hate it when people try to foist off stuff that doesn't work & can't be economically repaired ( "Inkjet printer with issues it's out on the porch in the rain. First one here gets it")

Comment

• Alex Franke
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2007
                  • Chapel Hill, NC
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Mine went out a while ago, too. I took it apart with my son and we found a blown fuse (totally inaccessible and soldered onto the circuit board). Out came the soldering iron, and it was an easy fix. Plus my boy learned a bit about electronics and fuses that day

In any case, I always try fixing things before I just toss them.
                  online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                  while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                  "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• billwmeyer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Weir, Ks, USA.
                    • BT3000

I enjoy fixing things. So I would take it apart, do what ever you can, and then when it won't go back together pronounce it dead and get another one! At least that how it usually works out for me. Once it is apart, the problem is usually solved.

Bill
                    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• phi1l
                      • Oct 2009
                      • Madison, WI

Originally posted by billwmeyer
                      Once it is apart, the problem is usually solved.

Bill
                      .. one way or the other

Comment

• cgallery
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Milwaukee, WI
                        • BT3K

Originally posted by alpha
                        I agree with David's first two sentences.

I disagree with David's last sentence because of what you said in your third sentence.
                        LOL, who's on first?

Comment

• billwmeyer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2003
                          • Weir, Ks, USA.
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by phi1l
                          .. one way or the other
                          Exactly!

Bill
                          "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• cabinetman
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

Originally posted by billwmeyer
                            I enjoy fixing things. So I would take it apart, do what ever you can, and then when it won't go back together pronounce it dead and get another one! At least that how it usually works out for me. Once it is apart, the problem is usually solved.

Bill

Absolutely. Paper was packed in tight around the shaft and the fixed ends. Once I got it all pulled out, it works like a champ. The HF set of dental picks worked great.

Comment

• jabe
                              • Apr 2006
                              • Hilo, Hawaii
                              • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

I had a shredder that clogged often cause the fins that were suppose to clear the blades from clogging were made of plastic and were broken. I got tired of taking it apart too clear it so I just trashed it and bought a HD shredder from Amazon $200. w/free shipping. You can not put a price on protecting your identity.

Comment

Working...