• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

A New Scam

I got a text message on my phone from some gibberish address telling me my Wachovia ATM card ending in XXXX had been deactivated. To reactivate I needed to go to a website and enter my account particulars. I deleted it, I don't have a Wachovia card.

So if you get one of these messages, ignore it.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • sparkeyjames
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Redford MI.
    • Craftsman 21829

Heck I get those all the time. Same scam different cards. Funny thing is right now I do not own a single credit card. The scammers also like to have you with checking accounts at various banks, that you have never done business with, that are having problems please log in here. When I do get those sometimes when I feel like messing with them I do the login thing but I type in really obscene things about their mothers in the login entry boxes.
    Last edited by sparkeyjames; 01-13-2010, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• herb fellows
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • New York City
      • bt3100

Or, you could always drive them crazy and waste their time by turning it into a chain letter and forwarding it to 50 or so friends who also don't have Wachovia accounts, and everybody put in false information.
      That'll keep 'em busy for awhile!
      You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• alpha
        Established Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Owensboro, KY, USA.

Perhaps the scam is only to collect verified email addresses instead of log in information. I wonder if anyone has given that any thought.

Bob

Comment

• Daryl
          • May 2004

Since you don't have a Wachovia ATM card you can email me the particulars of your Visa card and I will investigate the matter for you.
          Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• Larryl
            Established Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Lorena, TX, USA.
            • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

Originally posted by Daryl
            Since you don't have a Wachovia ATM card you can email me the particulars of your Visa card and I will investigate the matter for you.
            What a great bunch. Will go out of their way to help a fellow member.
            I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• Eric
              • Jun 2003
              • Cocolalla, ID
              • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

I don't have a texting plan on my phone because I don't send texts through the cell, but I do like being able to receive a text once in awhile from my brother with a pic of my niece. It burns me up to receive an unsolicited spam text that I then have to pay an extra fee for.

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Redford MI.
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by alpha
                Perhaps the scam is only to collect verified email addresses instead of log in information. I wonder if anyone has given that any thought.

Bob
                While quite possible they can send me all they want. My spam filter is quite capable of consigning spam to ground.

Comment

• Tom Hintz
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Concord, NC, USA.

This is pretty mucht he same thing that has been going around for years in email. for a long time lots of people blamed this on PayPal for some reason but I got almost the same exact message for virtually every creidt card brand I know of.
                  I guess that I am a tiny bit impressed that the scammers are keeping up with technology though. can Twitter credit card scams be far off?
                  Tom Hintz
                  NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

I get those too, and the emails I don't even bother to open, as that can be hazardous.

Comment

Working...