• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Spent Some Time In The Shop Today

for the first time in over a month, other than to walk in and out. It missed me. Did some more straightening and cleaning, got ready for the electrical final built a shelf I've been meaning to build and just generally had a good time.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • David D
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2009
    • Richmond, VA

Over a month? Sheesh, I walk into mine at least once a week just to make sure I don't forget what it looks like!

Seriously, it feels good doesn't it? Electrical final? I guess you're building a shop?

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Well I did have the operation a few weeks ago, plus with Christmas and all didn't have time do do much.

I've been building the shop since last May. Finally pulled the electrical back after Thanksgiving. All of the stuff inside had been signed off on so I was able to button most of it up already. Other life events also dictated that I had to be moved out of the basement by last September. I have to go back and redo a couple things for the building final before I can get the C. of O. but as the inspector said "we aren't the building police and I can't stop you from using it".

I still have a PM66 sitting in pieces and a planer that needs to be rehabbed but it will be a few more weeks before I can do any heavy lifting.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• David D
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2009
        • Richmond, VA

Gotcha. Don't know if you've posted any pics, but I'd love to see what the new shop looks like!

I'm in the process of trying to get my shop usable after being in this old house for over a year now. It's small (11"x11") but has high ceilings, so the past couple of days I've been mounting Closetmaid shelf track around the perimeter.

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Well since you asked....

Here is the thread with the progress from April to October. The story is that last March I was working from home one day and my wife sent me a link to a shop somebody on Craigslist was selling. She said to go look at it and if I thought it was a good deal I could buy it. was my reaction. Anyway, managed to get it moved in pieces and I spent most of last year putting it back together.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=44986
          David

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

Since my surgery I finished 1 window's worth of plantation shutters, made the moulding I use to hang them and installed them. And I am working on a magazine storage thing for beside my recliner now. I also cleaned and lubed the BT3100 Saturday. I thought I couldn't do glueup on the shutters but I weighed the parts and found out one completed panel, half a window, weighed about 15 lbs. So I carried one at a time but got them done. I also did not lift them with the clamps on (normally I would have).

The book shelf thing is harder. It is patterned off something I saw in one of the inflight magazines. The shelves are open on two sides and it is about 15x15x30. I am using 3/4 oak plywood I had on hand for the back, the one solid side, and the shelves. Edges that show get covered by solid oak scraps. I had my son lift the scrap onto my cutting lattice which he also got out. Then I cut it into 3 pieces small enough to meet my 20 lb limit (I figured 1/4 of a sheet can't exceed 20 lbs). That was fine until I started glueing back together. I can only tip and slide it at this point because if I pick it up, it will be too much weight. So if picking it up is really required I will need help. Bit of a pain but I am managing. It's better than no shop time.

Jim

Comment

Working...