• Show
Clear All
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

New Therapy for Tinnitus

Suppressing Tinnitus With Music Therapy as reported in the NYT. You may have to register but it 's free for now.

Bill
  • catta12
    Established Member
    • Jan 2008
    • Reno, NV
    • BTS20R

Do you just play music so loud that the ringing is inaudible?

I have always had it to a limited extent as long as I can remember and my dad has it as well. Guess that might be part of growing up around tractors without cabs. Do you have it bad Bill?
    If you can read this you assembled wrong.

Alan

Comment

• phi1l
      • Oct 2009
      • Madison, WI

What's nice about this is you can do it yourself for free, once you quantify the frequency of the tinnitus.

Audacity is an open source(free) program that will edit audio files. you can easily filter out that 1 octave range from you favorite music.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

Originally posted by catta12

I have always had it to a limited extent as long as I can remember and my dad has it as well. Guess that might be part of growing up around tractors without cabs. Do you have it bad Bill?
        It comes and goes throughout the day. I'm not sure if I am just ignoring it or if it's really transient. Sometimes it serves as a nice white noise to block out what is going on around me. The last time I talked to the Dr about it he said that the final kicker is, if I were to go completely deaf I would still hear it.

I like the idea of making my own thearpy music. Wonder how one would find out at what frequency the noise is. I'll have to give it some thought.

Bill,
        at least it's noise and not voices.....

Comment

• billwmeyer
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Weir, Ks, USA.
          • BT3000

Originally posted by catta12

Tractors and farm machinery in general is what I attribute mine too also, and my hearing loss. Actually, mufflers were a luxury at times on our tractors. Our old DC Case and H Farmall got pretty loud at times.

I am sure the loud rock music from the 60's had no affect on my hearing!

Bill
          "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

I've had it for many years and it's all the time. Shop noise, primarily routers over the years to blame. Not wearing ear protection was my own fault.

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

Tinnitus is one of the symptoms of Meniere's Disease. It's hard to get a correct diagnosis because most doctors will attribute it's symptoms to something else, like allergies.

Meniere's Disease can run from very mild attacks to very severe. My wife had the very severe attacks. At her very worst, she would lie on a sofa, and look at one spot on the ceiling. If she even moved her eyes, she would vomit profusely. To make a long story short, after several unsuccessful surgeries, she finally had the hearing intentionally destroyed in one ear. This made a major change in the lifestyle, for the better.

Ed
              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

Working...