• Show
Clear All
  • bruce hylton
    Established Member
    • Dec 2008
    • winlock, wa
    • Dewalt today

A new year

begins with thoughts of the past. And as usual I look back to see if I am gaining. Over the past 40 years I have attempted to keep a log of what I have done and where I am going in writing. The last two seemed to be not worth the effort. This past year brought changes in my health, my financial status and my thoughts concerning the future. At 60, I am getting to the point of making up my mind. My only regret today about my past, is that there has not been two me. I could have done so many more things had there been. So much to do and so little time to do it. Happy New Year.
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Bruce, I'm a little younger than you but not my much. I don't look back and you shouldn't either. Life's too short to dwell on what could have been. Instead, think about what could be.

Comment

• germdoc
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Omaha, NE
      • BT3000--the gray ghost

I'm happy with where I am. I am engaged and looking at moving to a new city in 2010. I am enjoying my hobbies, including woodworking and guitar-playing, and am physically active and healthy. I HOPE my finances improve in the next year (particularly if I do win the PowerBall lottery this weekend).

What I have observed to my regret though is that my attention span has decreased and my capacity or patience for deep learning and thinking has shrunk. I have forgotten entire fields of study, like mathematics and chemistry. I learn new information and techniques every day, but my interest in highly focused study just isn't there. I think this is something I will just have to live with (the wisdom of getting old).

My new year's resolution is to learn to play the ukulele!
      Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I don't want to even think about the last 40 years. When you get up in years, you think about what and how you were last month.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

Originally posted by germdoc
          I have forgotten entire fields of study, like mathematics and chemistry. I learn new information and techniques every day, but my interest in highly focused study just isn't there. I think this is something I will just have to live with (the wisdom of getting old).

My new year's resolution is to learn to play the ukulele!
          I think we reach a certain age and anything new we learn randomly pushes something else out. Now if we could just choose what was forgotten things would be great.

Bruce,
          Someone much wiser that I once told me the difference between a pessimist and an optimist. If sent back to live life over again the pessimist will complain that he would make all the same mistakes. While the optimist will exclaim, great I get to do it all again.

I try to not dwell on things that I have no control over. That includes the past, and much of the future that includes events like hurricanes, earthquakes, getting the swine flu or ever recouping my investment losses. Those things will happen or not and nothing I do will have any real bearing on it. I can take precautions and establish contingencies and hope for the best and that's it. Those things that I do have some control over I don't worry about but rather work with them to move towards my goals.

Think of it this way, your house is full of cats. You can write the P&M Gazette about who left them and who's fault they are and how the first one should have been spayed. Or you can concentrate on cleaning litter boxes and collecting cat hair. Or, you can think -- Future rental property and Fur lined gloves!

Bill
          Who knows that someone is really going to get upset about that last paragraph.
          Last edited by Mr__Bill; 01-01-2010, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Well this last year for us was an eventful one. I am hoping next year will be a bit more ordinary and hum-drum, but judging the way the last few have been, I doubt it.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

The older I get, the better I used to be...

Comment

• bruce hylton
                Established Member
                • Dec 2008
                • winlock, wa
                • Dewalt today

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                Now that is the truth.

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                  Isn't there a line "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was".....
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

The 3 stages of a man's life:

1) Tri-weekly

2) Try weekly

3) Try weakly

Comment

• germdoc
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Omaha, NE
                      • BT3000--the gray ghost

Originally posted by crokett
                      Isn't there a line "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was".....
                      Talking Heads: "Same as it ever was, same as it ever was..."
                      Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Ed62
                        The Full Monte
                        • Oct 2006
                        • NW Indiana
                        • BT3K

I look back to 52 years ago. We just celebrated our 52nd anniversary, on Dec. 28. Best deal I ever made.

Ed
                        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

Working...