• germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

A new paradigm

Convicted felon Traficant rerunning for Congress:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ot-sure-where/

I think this makes a lot of sense--let's vote for people who are PROVEN crooks, not people we don't know about. I mean, get the imprisonment thing out of the way BEFORE they get elected.

And the hair--well, there's not much you can say about the rug, it speaks for itself...
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

What makes a bigger statement, IMHO, is that the voters sometimes don't have the sense to keep them out...

Comment

• phi1l
      • Oct 2009
      • Madison, WI

Originally posted by germdoc
      Convicted felon Traficant rerunning for Congress:

It's the democratic way

Comment

• annunaki
        • Jan 2008
        • White Springs, Florida
        • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

Why not aim higher?

He could run for President with Marion Barry as his VP !
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• germdoc
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Omaha, NE
          • BT3000--the gray ghost

After he was convicted of corruption and kicked out of Congress in 2002 (hard to believe isn't it?), "Traficant ran as an independent candidate for another term in the House while incarcerated at the Federal Correctional Institute, Allenwood. He received 15 percent of the vote (27,487 votes) and became one of only a handful of individuals in the history of the United States to run for a federal office from prison. The election was won by one of his former aides, Tim Ryan." (from Wikipedia)
          Last edited by germdoc; 12-31-2009, 09:51 PM.
          Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

So how would this be since a convicted felon loses the right to vote? He would get paid for not being able to vote?
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

Please note that one of the members who has replied to this thread also reported it as too political........ Let's move on . I do not wish for the last thing I do on the forum this year is close a thread.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• JSUPreston
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Montgomery, AL.
                • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I think Randal has brought up a very valid point. According to law in the majority of the U.S., a convicted felon is no longer allowed to vote or carry weapons. If that is the case where this guy settles down, how is it that as a convicted felon he can run for any political office? This seems to me to be against what the law stands for.
                "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• herb fellows
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • New York City
                  • bt3100

I remember a story about a politician who was running for office. His opponent found out that he had been in a mental institution previously, and eagerly brought it up during a debate.
                  The accused fellow immediately took a piece of paper from his jacket and stated 'I have a piece of paper saying that I am now sane, where's yours?'
                  You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• alpha
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Owensboro, KY, USA.

"Beam me up, Scotty"

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Redford MI.
                      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by herb fellows
                      I remember a story about a politician who was running for office. His opponent found out that he had been in a mental institution previously, and eagerly brought it up during a debate.
                      The accused fellow immediately took a piece of paper from his jacket and stated 'I have a piece of paper saying that I am now sane, where's yours?'
                      Kind of along the lines of "Have you stopped beating your wife?" or "Have you stopped smoking crack?"

More on topic. I thought convicted felons were barred from election to some public offices.

Comment

• phrog
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2005
                        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by sparkeyjames
                        More on topic. I thought convicted felons were barred from election to some public offices.
                        I think you got it backwards; some public officials are exempted from becoming convicted felons.
                        Richard
                        Richard

Comment

Working...