How Does One Get A Painkiller Addiction?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

I had to go get the pill bottles to see what I am on and have had previously. My first two surgeries, an appendix removal and first hernia, I was on propoxy N, 100MG which was a substitute for Darvocet.

This time, I am on hydrocodone.

I have not taken the hydrocodone before 10pm except on the day of the surgery where they gave it to me in the recovery area (at about 6:30p). I took 1/2 a pill and then later, after repeated requests, took the other 1/2 pill. I didn't think I really needed it. It hurt when I moved but not that bad and if I didn't move, I didn't hurt.

At this point (6 days after second hernia surgery) I can sit up in bed without rolling to my side with at most minor discomfort. Even when I cough it doesn't hurt bad, like it did at first. I walk multiple miles as quickly as I normally do and climb stairs with usually no discomfort.

If I notice I am not breathing right or showing other signs of tensing up from the pain, I take the pain killer. If I can functiom normally without it, I go without it. I don't see how the painkiller helps you heal unless you are reacting negatively to the pain and then I think it makes sense to just take the prescription rather than "tough it out".

I have not noticed side effects other than a slight difference in concentration on the propoxy. Only on relatively complicated reasoning (for work "stuff").

Jim

Comment

Working...