• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Just curious

How many if any of you have responded and completed one of those offers that usually show up in Bulk/spam mail offering a free Dell Laptop or $1000 wally world gift card? The ones you click on and find out you have to complet 5 of this level 3 of this level and 2 of this level before you get your laptop. Figuered out one time I could have bought 2 laptops for the price of completing all the offers at different levels. I never have.

Just something for boring wet and soon to get wetter weekend in December.

Hey people 3 wet storms headed East the next couple of days.
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

They get trashed as soon as they come in here.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

I haven't received any of those, but I do get a rash of emails from unknown females saying to view their pictures on Facebook.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

I get them all the time, but I'm skeptical of anything promising a free lunch. How are they gonna survive if they give everybody a free laptop? That money's gotta be coming from somewhere, and I'm pretty sure it's from me...

Comment

• jackellis
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

Hey people 3 wet storms headed East the next couple of days. Hey people 3 wet storms headed East the next couple of days.
          No kidding. The forecast is for 1-2 feet at lake level today and tonight, with more on the way over the next 8 days. In addition to taking care of decks and the plow berm, I now have to drive to the airport at least once a day to clear snow. Otherwise the airplane ends up on its tail, which isn't very good for the tail feathers.

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

Expecting 2" rain over the next hrs. We are OK, unless the Pineapple Express shows up and melt snow up high then the reservoirs fill up and the start releasing large amounts of water to make room for what coming. Snow good and 5,000 and above Rian Bad at 8000ft and lower. What happens to the plane if you snowed in? No way to safely brace the tail?

Tom

Comment

• knobcreekman
              Forum Newbie
              • Aug 2009
              • Mobile, AL
              • BT3100

I have tried to make through a few of them.... the problem is that some of them require making an actual purchase to "complete the offer"... so I always turn and run at that point.

Comment

• jackellis
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

No way to safely brace the tail?
                I picked up some 2 foot lengths of schedule 40 PVC, tees and end caps. Created a lightweight tail stand for about $7 worth of materials that I can easily disassemble since the parts are held together with sheet metal screws. No need to use that nasty PVC cement. If that's not strong enough, I can make a wooden one out of scraps.

The plows are working hard as I write this and I'm pretty sure I can get out if I need to.

Comment

• TB Roye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

I will check on you in the morning. Sitting in my recliner with a cup of coffee and fire going. The next blast just went through here.

Tom

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Getting back to the original question: I did fill out one of those questionnaires for a computer once - about 4 years ago without getting a lot of spam. I was back in the States and got a phone call after the fact concerning the situation. I got lucky, in that it was an "honest" promotional; the fellow that called told me what I needed to do and I told him I did not have the time to do all of the requirements. I also told him that the requirements were not spelled out on the main page and only after submitting did I get the full information, . . . but the submission had been done at that point.

The fellow was nice, honest and I did not get any spam nor any more phone calls from that. BUT, my daughter tried one and got LOTS of spam.

AFTER I did that, I read a blog from a fellow that went through the process and received a computer. It takes someone with a penchant for detail, recording detail, persistence, tenacity and time - several months to a year.

ONE note - For me - That was an ad on a site that I had long trusted and up to that point, all ads were on the up and up by well known companies. It was also at that point that the ads started degrading.
                    Last edited by leehljp; 12-13-2009, 10:07 AM.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

What I like to see are those forms you fill out that advertise a free vacation or a car or cash, etc. If you look at the form they ask for name, address, income range, how often you go on vacation, etc. It is amazing how many people fill those out. Can you say junk mail?
                      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...