Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Stytooner
    Could it be ink poison?
    That thought actually crossed my mind! Every time I outline it, it ends up a bit bigger the next time around. I suppose the same thing would happen if I had a reaction to the ink! :lol:

Originally posted by Stytooner
    It was a saddle back caterpillar.
    Creepy.

Originally posted by herb fellows
    Not for nothing (and apologies to all the docs here), but would you ask a doctor how to do a glue up?
    I hear ya. But it always helps to know what other people would do.

I'll ask the doctor what kind of glue she would use to attach the ice cream scoop to the handle I turned last night... we'll she what she says. :lol:
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Kristofor
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2004
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by radhak
      Oh wait - that's only if the spider was radioactive...
      Pffft, you're showing your age! Fear of radiation was so 1960's

These days you want the ones with red and blue manipulated DNA, or at least that's what a $1B+ in Hollywood ticket sales say...

Comment

• Alex Franke
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Chapel Hill, NC
        • Ryobi BT3100

I just got back from surgery. (Well, she brought out the knife to see if there was a stinger -- even though I assured her there was not.) There was no stinger.

10 days of antibiotics for cellulitis.
        "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by Alex Franke
          keep checking to see if I'm alive.
          So are you alive yet?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
          - Aristotle

Comment

• MilDoc

Originally posted by germdoc
            When it comes to spider bites, "many are called but few are chosen". I would guess that only about 1% of patients I have seen who think they were bitten by a spider actually were bitten by a spider.
            Gotta agree with germdoc. IMHO < 1% of the "spider bites" I see are actually spider bites. Most nowadays are injuries with subsequent Staph infection. And BTW not all brown recluse bites turn serious (few, really), and the BR is actually uncommon in your area, common in mine. Bites are rare because the BR would rather run then bite.

And from the look of your picture, this was not a spider bite. There is no central ulceration common to spider bites. And with brown recluse bites, in most cases the bite is painless and the bitten is not even aware of it until later.

You obviously have a reaction and/or cellulitis. If it's swollen, tender, and warm (tumor, rubor dolar in Latin) then probably the latter. Either way an antibiotic wouldn't hurt, along with warm compresses and careful observation.

If it looked like cellulitis to me I would have injected a small amount of sterile saline at the edge, then withdrawn it for culture.
            Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2009, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
              Veteran Member
              • May 2003
              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
              • BT3100

Originally posted by MilDoc

If it looked like cellulitis to me I would have injected a small amount of sterile saline at the edge, then withdrawn it for culture.

Isn't that something women get on their butt.

Bruce
              "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• germdoc
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Omaha, NE
                • BT3000--the gray ghost

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
                Isn't that something women get on their butt.

Bruce
                That's celluLITE, and getting rid of it is no picnic:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...irming-op.html

Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Alex Franke
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2007
                  • Chapel Hill, NC
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks guys! You're the best!!

I haven't seen a wasp up there in over a month, and there weren't any wasp-like holes in the chair leg where I set my arm down. (It was on the bottom of a 1.5-in square leg of a wooden chair that was turned upside down atop another chair.) But maybe it was a little one hiding on the side...

The wasps we get up there are mud wasps, which I'm told are probably the most docile wasps around. Like a lot of spiders, they'll apparently only bite/sting when pressed against.

Of course, it could have also been something completely different. The only critters I know have been up there though are spiders, wasps, and flying squirrels. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a flying squirrel.

7 days of cephalexin is what I got, btw (not 10 days that I originally reported).

Comment

• tung tied
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jul 2006

Coulda been a Cow Killer. They are somewhat solitary in nature but give a lasting impression. Seen them in Durham and Hillsborough

Comment

• pierhogunn2
                      Established Member
                      • Sep 2009

glad to hear that it's not something more serious

Comment

Working...