• Show
Clear All
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Jobs (A few) Moving Back

Interesting, especially the bit at the end about India.

http://us.rd.yahoo.com/finance/external/bizj/SIG=129vephj9/*http%3A//atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2009/11/30/daily8.html?ana=yfcpc

I like talking with folks across the pond. Especially the one in Malawi. Generally much more professional and sometime more articulate than some of native American English speakers who have called for surveys and the like.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

It sure is nice to talk with someone that speaks in UNDERSTANDABLE ENGLISH. I usually get the guy named Frank or Bill, or Jim (no connection to BT3 members), that just finished their language course. I will ask for someone I can understand...I'm not squeamish about that.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

That bit about India is not surprising. AmEx transferred a lot of its customer service from India to Arizona after similar complaints.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• smorris
        • Apr 2003
        • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I deal with techs in India on a daily basis, to say they are incompetent would be gracious. I ask a so called sysadmin to perform some trivial configuration and it turns into 5-10 emails about how to do something that any sysadmin should know how to do in their sleep.
        --
        Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by jackellis
          Generally much more professional and sometime more articulate than some of native American English speakers who have called for surveys and the like.
          Sad but true, in my experience. I guess it's like anywhere else - companies outsource to save money or because Americans don't want to do the menial jobs. They want to save money, so they go with the low bidder and get poorly trained people. Other companies opt for value and go with a vendor that can provide competent customer service and are willing to pay a bit more.

We usually assume that when we get a CSR with an accent that they are in a foreign country. If we look at the statistics, however, we find that a majority of CSRs at call centers in the US are not US natives. CSR positions are entry level positions that don't pay very well, so most US natives don't seem to want those jobs.
          Last edited by woodturner; 12-02-2009, 09:18 AM.
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • On the TARDIS
            • BT 3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
            It sure is nice to talk with someone that speaks in UNDERSTANDABLE ENGLISH. .

I understand completely. I hate getting someone who cannot ever pronounce my last name correctly. I usually tell them that there is no one by that name here.

On the other hand, I deal with native born North Americans from all over the continent and depending where they hail from, I have to listen carefully because of their local accent.
            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...