• germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

Cheaper than divorce

OK, it's not a Texas marriage, but...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...gle/index.html

As a divorced person, my guess is that after all is said and done, lawyer's fees and all, it's still cheaper than alimony.

[I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my insensitive and possibly chauvinistic take on this sad news item.]
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I ain't offended Jeff - I have seen divorces from h*ll and can understand the sentiment.

But I cannot understand the legal aspects of this case. I never knew there could be any circumstances in which a death, even an accidental death, could end up with nobody 'paying' for it. (Not talking about the 'Darwin Awards' of course).

Lemme see : I accidentally floor the accelerator instead of the brake and mow my wife down - involuntary manslaughter, right? Now if this happened because I had an epileptic fit - no charges? (I used to be epileptic and as far as I know, there's no way to find out later on if I had a fit an hour ago).

You see where I'm going with this? This is a nice loophole...

Ok, now I need to apologize if I am putting ideas in somebody's head !
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

What a precedent. About 15 years ago I started kicking and swinging wildly in my sleep and LOML woke up, ducked and scattered. Two of the cats wound up in the corner with a WTF look on their face. Something like this:

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Early in our marriage I woke for some reason to find wife standing over the bed with a broom raise over her head read to kill the spider she dreampt about. I just rolled off my side of the bed as the broom came down. This happened a couple of times but not recently and 43 years later we still sleep in the same bed, but the broom, mops, shovels, rakes and any thing with a long handle is kept in a locked gun safe.

Tom

Comment

• billwmeyer
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Weir, Ks, USA.
          • BT3000

I awoke one night to a blood curdling scream from my wife. As I raised up in bed she flew back with her arms knocking me back on my back. This happened three times before I could grab her arms and get her fully awake. She dreamt that there was a huge black spider on the bed. She kicked to knock it off of the bed. When she knocked me back down, my feet would come up, knocking the spider back towards her. It took a while to calm her down and convince her that it was just a dream, but it was weeks before our small black dog would sleep on our bed again.

Bill
          "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• phi1l
            • Oct 2009
            • Madison, WI

that should teach you not to sleep in your spider suit..

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Originally posted by germdoc
              OK, it's not a Texas marriage, but...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe...gle/index.html

As a divorced person, my guess is that after all is said and done, lawyer's fees and all, it's still cheaper than alimony.

[I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my insensitive and possibly chauvinistic take on this sad news item.]
              Wow, I thought this was going to be about the no legal marriage thing since they screwed up a law, that I read about online.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• scmhogg
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2003
                • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                • BT3000

Jeff,

"Cheaper than divorce"

Faster maybe, but as a criminal defense lawyer, I doubt cheaper.

When chided about his fees, famed defense lawyer, Percy Foreman of Texas, said, "Why, I have never taken more than a man has."

Steve
                I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

As Janis sang, and lawyers and divorcee's tend to agree:

"Freedom's just another word, for nothing left to lose"
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...