• Show
Clear All
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

What to do in Louisville, Kentucky?

Anyone got some leads on what to do around there? I'm going to a 3 day conference 11/11-11/14 and am looking for something to do besides hang out at the hotel bar.

Landmarks? Museums? Good restaurants? Sights to see?
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Kentucky Horse Park! Plus the last time I was near Louisville (been several years) a state park had a display about moonshining. At the KHP, definitely check out the comparison of Man 'O War's stride length versus Secretariat's.

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• headhunter636
      Established Member
      • Jul 2004
      • Federal Way, WA
      • Ryobi BT 3000

How about the Louisville Slugger Museum? I've never been, but would like to go.
      Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by headhunter636
        How about the Louisville Slugger Museum? I've never been, but would like to go.
        My coworker just went and he said the tour was really cool. They weren't
        making bats that day, but they had videos up all over the place explaining the
        process.

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
          • May 2003
          • Orlando, FL, USA.
          • BT3000

Two of the best "neat stuff" and architectural salvage places that I have ever seen are downtown and only a few blocks from each other ...

> Joe Ley Antiques (615 E. Market St. about a 1-1/2 miles from Louisville Slugger Museum. ) - Indescribable!
          > Architectural Salvage, WD Inc (614 E. Broadway)

Possibly too far to visit during your trip ...

> Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill is about 80 miles away. An American treasure.
          > Maker's Mark and other distilleries are about 90 miles away near Lexington and Bardstown.

- Lonnie
          Last edited by Lonnie in Orlando; 11-01-2009, 05:26 PM.
          OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

Comment

• Bill Anderson
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2007

Kentucky is one of the most beautiful states that I have visited. Louisville has distinct four seasons, and spring begins to appear around the beginning to middle of March. Winter is not as monotonous, and doesn't drive you as stir crazy as the northern states.

Cool Places to visit:

Churchill Downs and Museum, (That may be the same as the Horse Park mentioned above, not sure though). I just know it as Churchill Downs.

The Louisville Slugger Museum is definitely worth the time. Very cool! They were making bats the day that we visited, and my son had one made with his name stamped on the bat.

Galt House had a revolving restaurant, but that has been a few years ago, so not sure if that is still open.

The Louisville Belle (IIRC that is the name), is a steamboat, that offers tours up and down the Ohio River.

There is so much more.

Just remembered, the Muhammad Ali Museum just opened a few years back.

Enjoy your time. Louisville is a great place to visit.

Regards

Comment

• gjat
              • Nov 2005
              • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
              • BT3100

There are plenty of distilleries to the south that are within a half hour. I think it's the Bourbon Heritage Center.

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Lonnie in Orlando
                > Maker's Mark and other distilleries are about 90 miles away near Lexington and Bardstown.
                Yep, if I was ever in that neck of the woods I would have to visit the Makers Mark distillery in Loretto. I've had dreams of taking a barrel home.

Map It's around 60miles South.
                Erik

Comment

• tstombaugh
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Dec 2008
                  • South of Louisville
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Check Out the Frasier Museum and the Bat Museum

A couple of other suggestions for the downtown area would be the Frasier Historic Museum and there is a Titantic Exhibition I believe at the Science Museum. TheFrasier Museum is across the street from the Louisville Bat Museum. There is a huge bat just outside of the main entrance so it is hard
                  to miss. Been to the bat museum twice and enjoyed both visits.
                  Tom

Comment

• Tom Slick
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                    • sears BT3 clone

Thanks for the info guys.
                    It looks like the Churchill Downs museum is closed because of flooding from earlier in the year. Louisville slugger definitely looks interesting. There is also a military museum that could be worth checking out.
                    I won't have a car so everything has to be in walking/taxi distance. I'd love to go to a distillery.
                    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• gsmittle
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                      • BT 3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
                      Yep, if I was ever in that neck of the woods I would have to visit the Makers Mark distillery in Loretto. I've had dreams of taking a barrel home.

Map It's around 60miles South.
                      Erik, If you can get a bigger truck, I'll help you load & drive for half the stash…

g.
                      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                      Bill & Ted

Comment

• Crash2510
                        • Feb 2006
                        • North Central Ohio

head south a little ways go to fort knox check out the patton museum near the base. Make the trip to makers mark dip your own bottle. Makers mark is the best burbon distillery to go to, Jim Beam is a waste of time. The burbon heritage center at the heaven hills distillery is neat and worth a stop on the way back from makers mark. Historic bardstown is also neat if you are into that kind of stuff. Did I mention Makers Mark is awesome. Neither are really that far of a drive fort knox is only a half hour from louisville airport. Makers Mark will take you an hour and twenty minutes or so but it is worth it, be prepared to drive slow some curvy roads in them their hills.
                        Phil In Ohio
                        The basement woodworker

Comment

• affyx
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Oct 2007
                          • Mechanicsburg, PA
                          • BT3000 (sold), ShopSmith (bought then sold), BT3100 (just bought on CL)

Makers Mark is one of the prettiest places I have ever been - but it's a LOOOONG drive on slow roads. Lincoln's birthplace is around there somewhere and Mammoth Caves. I lived in Lexington which is a bit of a drive but there is a lot to do there including the previously mentioned Horse Park - if you do make it to Lex, the woodworker in you will appreciate the Shaker Village and the craft college in Berea, each about an hour away as I recall (it's been 13 years)
                          JC

LumberJocks: http://lumberjocks.com/affyx

"I lost my little saw and now I can't cope."

Comment

Working...