• Show
Clear All
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Wow! What A Day.

To start off, my nephew( five yrs old) has very severe cerebral palsey. He is stuck in a wheel chair. There are plenty of programs to help financially but the money only goes so far. Tonight a group of us held a fund raiser dance. It has been in the works for some time now. I have been up from seven this morning preparing food while others were setting up the hall. Most of my night was running around looking after 50/50, door prizes, and a silent auction. Then the clean up-when many of the other helpers disapear. It's almost two o'clock and I'm having a cup of tea then going to bed. Don't call me in the morning.( imagine tired smilie here)

BTW: We raised about two thousand dollars tonight.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Sorry to hear about your nephew Richard. That's a hard way to start out life. Sounds like the dance was a success. What kind of music did you have? Band, D.J.? So, will you be eating leftovers for a while?

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

I'm sorry to hear about him too. That is a very long day indeed. I was up about that long myself, but I have the duty this weekend and got paged out last night. My kids woke me up at 7 this morning. My wife did get up and take them to the living room though. I love her.
      Last edited by crokett; 10-25-2009, 08:58 AM.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • On the TARDIS
        • BT 3100

Well, so much for sleeping in. I was laying there at 8:30 looking at the ceiling. I guess that's the curse of getting up early the rest of the week.

Hi guys. Matthew is very much like any other five year old-as much as the CP will allow him to be. Unfortunately he is stuck in his chair and needs help for just about everything else. But that kid gives 110% for effort though and gets mad when can't do something as good as he would like to. Plus he is smart as a whip too.

We had a DJ donate his time and he even donated door prizes. Many people/groups donated items for door prizes and a silent auction. I tuned a slimline pen and pencil set from bloodwood for the silent auction. The hall was donated by the Legion and half the people brought food platters for the "lunch" that was served later in the night.My fridge is full and LOML says we won't need to go shopping this week. We had so much food that we invited people in the club room to come down and eat( for a donation). Many of the people were coming in and just throwing a handfull of bills down on the table after they saw pictures of Matthew.

In all we had a good night and Matthew is well on his way to getting his new wheel chair.

Time to jump in the shower then head back to the hall to clean out all the left over bottles and stuff.
        Last edited by Richard in Smithville; 10-25-2009, 09:07 AM.
        From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Tough row for a kid to hoe... But those with challenges can still offer the full measure of love and satisfaction... more, in fact. Glad the benefit came off well.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

Sorry to hear about your nephew but glad to hear that so many in the community are willing to pitch in to help.

Bill

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

He's a good looking kid. I really wonder why kids have to take on a load like that. Glad to hear you had good success.

Ed
              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

Working...