• Show
Clear All
  • lrogers
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Mobile, AL. USA.
    • BT3000

I'm back, sort of..

The shoulder surgery went well Friday, but I've been in a LOT pain. Worse, the pain meds the doc gave me made me feel WERID and made me sick. Yesterday was pretty miserable. I am using the shoulder a bit today, but range of motion is VERY limited and the pain level is high.

Cooper and Goldie can't quite figure out what's going on, but they are here to give me all the love I can handle. Belinda, what can I say, she has been pure gold through this.
    Larry R. Rogers
    The Samurai Wood Butcher
    http://splash54.multiply.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Glad you're on the mend. Feel better soon. Here are some warm-up exercises for you:

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

It sounds as if the surgery went as expected. Hope the pain subsides quickly. You should tell the doc that the meds made you feel weird. He'll probably change the meds.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

I am glad the surgery was successful.

What Ed said. Get the doctor to change your meds. Sooner or later the pain will subside enough that you will quit taking them because they way they make you feel is worse than the pain and that will just slow down the healing.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

Good to hear the surgery went well, Larry. Not so good to hear about the pain. The meds are supposed to make you feel GOOD weird, so if it's BAD weird, get the doc to try something else.

The pain meds do help speed the healing at first. I hope your PT is at least cute, because she's bound to be evil. I think physical therapists take classes in evil…

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• JSUPreston
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Montgomery, AL.
            • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by gsmittle
            I hope your PT is at least cute, because she's bound to be evil. I think physical therapists take classes in evil…

g.
            I think you're right. There was one I had after a knee surgery that I nearly punched. She was a witch that started with a b!!!

Best PT I ever had was a cute blonde by the name of Cameron. She got married a few years ago and moved to Santa Rosa, FL. Did I mention that she is REALLY cute and very much a hands on therapist. Found her here: http://www.therapybob.com/santaRosa.asp

Larry, take the advice of others and talk with the doc about the pain meds. I've had some that even though they knocked me out, I would have some really weird, almost disturbing, dreams. Like you, I quit taking the meds pretty quick because I didn't like the side effects.
            "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

Take care Larry. LOML had lower back pain pretty bad a couple months back. Her doc prescribed her some NEW pain meds. $250 for 10 pills. Did not work at all. We didn't buy them, because she did give her some samples. Good thing.
              I will never understand why they prescribe untested expensive crap like that. I thought the whole point of pain meds was to eliminate pain, not make drug companies rich. Sooo...she suffered for about 3 days. Of course over the weekend. She was a little better the following Monday.

Makes one wonder sometimes.
              Lee

Comment

• RayintheUK
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2003
                • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by lrogers
                The shoulder surgery went well Friday ...
                Great news, right there - that's the result you needed!

OK, so there's some pain, but there's bound to be - the infrastructure doesn't take well to being opened up and messed around with. However, nausea with meds is never a good sign and I'd get that investigated, ASAP.

I feel for you, as the surgery you've had will restrict you for a while, but it'll be an ever-decreasing restriction. Don't overdo the re-hab - it will be counter-productive and you'll do yourself no favors by exceeding the required exercises in an attempt to reduce the recovery time.

Safe and swift recovery!

Ray
                Last edited by RayintheUK; 10-07-2009, 03:44 AM.
                Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

The worst is over Larry. Take things easy. Having a therapy nurse like this will help.

Comment

• scmhogg
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                    • BT3000

Congrats on the successful surgery.

I can't take opiates, they make me throw up...instantly. When I had neck disc problems the only thing that worked for me was Celebrex.

Steve
                    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• lrogers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Mobile, AL. USA.
                      • BT3000

I switched over to another med toady and I've felt a LOT better. This doesn't seem to be as good on the pain, but I don't feel like a zombie AND I'm not sick.

A lot of the swelling has gone down and I'm getting a better range of movement.

I want to thank you all for the well wishes, it really does help.

C-Man, while I'd LOVE to have a nurse like you suggest, I think she would cause a lot more getting Belinda's foot/ankle/knee/shin out of my back side than she would cure
                      Larry R. Rogers
                      The Samurai Wood Butcher

Comment

• Pappy
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 (x2)

ICE, ICE, and more ICE! After my shoulder surgery they gave me a machine that is a small ice chest with a built in pump. Circulated ice water through the pad.

Listen to the PT. They know what they are doing even if you think they are complete Sadists. (Which they are!)
                        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                        Fools because they have to say something.
                        Plato

Comment

• lrogers
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Mobile, AL. USA.
                          • BT3000

They gave me one of those machines too Pappy. It is GREAT!
                          Larry R. Rogers
                          The Samurai Wood Butcher

Comment

• Turaj
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                            • BT3000 (1998)

Larry, Glad to hear the procedures went well. Hope it continues to improve and wish you speedy recovery.
                            Turaj (in Toronto)
                            "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

Good to hear that you are out of the hospital and that your meds have been adjusted. The wrong meds can be a pain in themselves.
                              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...