• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

Mandolin Building Camp ...

I mentioned sometime back that I would be attending Roger Siminoff's Lutherie Camp in October 2009 ... well the time has arrived. I will be logging my impressions and experiences on a web log and rather than post a number of threads or entries on this board I will simply provide a link over to my web log and those that are interested are welcome to read/subscribe ... that way I won't be filling this board with entries many people may not be at all interested in ... so ... the link to my web log is Bade's Lutherie Web Log

I hope some of you will be interested ... I'm fully jazzed!!
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log
  • Norm in Fujino
    • Dec 2002
    • Fujino-machi, Kanagawa-ken, Japan.
    • Ryobi BT-3000

Thanks for the link; looks like a wonderful experience.
    ==========
    ". . . and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Wow, Bade, nice work! At one time I thought that I'd like to try my hand at the luthier's craft but when I saw how many specialized clamps, etc, I had second thoughts. What if I didn't care for the craft? Money wasted. I've subscribed to your blog to keep up with you. Happy luthiering (?).
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

I love the finish on that 2006 mandolin. Is that the light or did you finish it to fade from the gold to the dark colors?
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

Wow! That is fantastic stuff!! Thanks for the link.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Nice work. Wish I could do that.
            Richard
            Richard

Comment

• BadeMillsap
              • Dec 2005
              • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
              • Grizzly G1023SL

Thanks for the nice comments!!

Crockett .. the finish is referred to as "Sunburst" ... in this case a "tobacco sunburst" due to the more brown than red tint ... it is done with aniline dyes directly on the wood and then I finished the 2006 F5 with TRUE-OIL ... very easy to work with ... most production instruments are lacquer finish and some of the very very fine instruments are "varnish" finished in a technique called "french polish" ... take real practice to get good at French Polish but the results are stunning.
              Bade Millsap
              Bulverde, Texas

Comment

• germdoc
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Omaha, NE
                • BT3000--the gray ghost

Those are beautiful instruments!

I have built 1 guitar from a cheap kit and am planning on building a "real" guitar from a Stew-Mac kit anytime now. The only reason I haven't is that I hear it's real addictive, and I don't have a lot of extra time right now...
                Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                  • Grizzly G1023SL

Camp is over and I'm headed home ... what an experience!!

I'm in Williams Arizona tonight on my way back to Texas ... the mandolin building camp is done and my head is spinning ... I can't even imagine the things I've seen this past week ...

To see some "action shots" as well as a narrative of the week take a peek at the web log I maintained during the camp ... link here ... remember it's a web log so the last entry is at the top ... best to scroll down to day 1 and read up ... there are several shots of Roger's "shop" ... it's 1700 sq feet of woodworker bliss ... and there is a link on the web log that points to a gallery of pictures including many more of the shop are ... gallery link here

Take a peek if you are interested ... it was a mind altering week!!
                  Bade Millsap
                  Bulverde, Texas

Comment

• Tom Slick
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                    • sears BT3 clone

Cool stuff!

I worked in a fairly well-known electric guitar "factory" for 6 years but I am not a guitar maker (was maintenance supervisor). If you need any ideas on a way to do something I might be able to hum a few bars to get you off on the right note.
                    I do know a different way to do binding but it's not a true binding like what was done at that workshop. I also know how fret boards and fretwork was done.
                    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Westex93
                      Forum Newbie
                      • May 2004
                      • Springtown, TX, USA.

Sounds like a good time. I've yet to start building mandolins and have strictly been concentrating on guitars thus far, but mandolin building is in my plan, too. Roger gave a seminar recently for LINT (Luthiers Interactive of North Texas) which I attended. Good stuff. And good luck with your luthierie endeavors. Be warned, though, it's addicting stuff!

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                        • Grizzly G1023SL

LINT was represented at Roger's camp!!

Hi Westex93

"Chris" ... as identified in my web log is an active LINT member and was one of the campers ... I've been on the LINT email list for several years and intend to attend the Masters class when Lynn Dudenbostel is the speaker ...

Yeah I know it's addicting ... I've been "hobbying at it" since the mid-1980's ... Lutherie is actually what got me into woodworking in the first place ...

Thanks for looking in ...

Bade
                        Bade Millsap
                        Bulverde, Texas

Comment

Working...