• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Anything to do in Cleveland?

So, I have an opportunity to travel to Cleveland for work the first full week in October. I've been there before, and it stunk because there was nothing to do (or at least that I found to do). However, I'm wondering if there's just a bunch of stuff that I missed?

So, any thoughts? I know Canton is close now, so the Hall of Fame is an option...

Thanks
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Go watch the Browns or Indians?

Tom

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

If you are an NFL fan, Canton and the Pro Football HoF is about an hr away. I was there 2 springs ago for work and was planning to go but couldn't make it. Rock and Roll HoF is in Cleveland. I did see the Indians play and had fun there.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• herb fellows
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • New York City
        • bt3100

There's that other Hall of fame in Cleveland, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Something for everyone there.
        Good Little Italy for dinner.

In Toledo (about 1 1/2 hr drive) there' a Dale Chihuly glass exhibit at the museum,but I'm guessing you wouldn't have time for that.
        Last edited by herb fellows; 09-24-2009, 02:28 PM.
        You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN

Well, it'll be in the middle of the week, and although going to a browns game sounds like fun- I have no interest in baseball... I'll have time to drive- so if the museum in Toledo is open later, that will actually work....

Anything else?

Where's little Italy?

Comment

• iceman61
            • Oct 2007
            • West TN
            • Bosch 4100-09

Go down to "The Flats" & drink a beer!

Comment

• woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania
              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by BigguyZ
              So, I have an opportunity to travel to Cleveland for work the first full week in October. I've been there before, and it stunk because there was nothing to do (or at least that I found to do). However, I'm wondering if there's just a bunch of stuff that I missed?
              Did you see the burning river? The burning pile of tires? ;-) Both are near Cleveland. I think they may have finally extinguished the river, though - but you can still get "burning river" ale.

If you have some time and a car, there are some other things to do within an hour's drive. Sugar Creek is an Amish community and renouned for their cheeses. Erie PA is home to the Niagara and Presque Isle Park and is an hour or so away. Columbus, Ohio is about 1.5 hours. There is a great ice cream place in Yellow Springs called Youngs, but it's probably 2 hours away by car.
              --------------------------------------------------
              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• BigguyZ
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2006
                • Minneapolis, MN

I'll have a rental, so yeah. as long as they're open after 8 or so, that's all withint range...

Comment

• Daryl
                  • May 2004

Cleveland also has the National Polka Hall of Fame.
                  Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• herb fellows
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • New York City
                    • bt3100

Well, it'll be in the middle of the week, and although going to a browns game sounds like fun- I have no interest in baseball... I'll have time to drive- so if the museum in Toledo is open later, that will actually work....

Anything else?

Where's little Italy?
                    Not sure exactly, but a friend who lives there took us there for dinner when we were visiting, so I'm sure some of the locals you'll be doing business with will know. Relatively small area as I recall (well, compared to Little Italy in NYC at least), but we ate in a couple of very good restaurants. Just don't try the local Cleveland wine, it's terrible!
                    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2005
                      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                      • sears BT3 clone

I was in Cleveland about 3 years ago. All I did was sit in a really nice bar downtown and have several drinks. For awhile there were no women in the bar and we thought we'd stumbled into a place for those whom live an alternative lifestyle, but finally a few cuties showed up. lol
                      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• woodturner
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • Western Pennsylvania
                        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

I'll have a rental, so yeah. as long as they're open after 8 or so, that's all withint range...
                        If you say a bit more about what you are interested in or like to do, I can offer some other suggestions.

There is a decent ice cream place in Youngstown, too, which would be a good bit closer - but not the Youngs Dairy experience.
                        http://www.youngsdairy.com/home.html
                        --------------------------------------------------
                        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• JoeyGee
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

Well, depending on where you are in Cleveland, it will be closer to 2 hours to get to Toledo. The Museum closes at 6 most days, but is open until 10 on Fridays.

http://www.toledomuseum.org/

If you do make it to Toledo, amke sure you get to the world famous Tony Packo's:

http://www.tonypackos.com/index.php

Oops, forgot to add, Cedar point is open weekends through October if roller coasters are your thing. It's about halfway to Toledo:

www.cedarpoint.com

With all that said, there is MUCH more to do in Cleveland than Toledo...
                          Last edited by JoeyGee; 09-25-2009, 10:54 AM. Reason: I forgot Cedar Point...
                          Joe

Comment

• mashtun
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Sep 2007

Things to do in Clevleand

We I guess you could go to the Flats if you want to see several giant holes in the ground. Most of the East side was leveled for a major renovation prject that is now never going to happen, but it is still all dug up for major sewer renovations.

If you are into Micorbrews there are several great places.

Fatheads
                            Brew Kettle
                            Beer Engine
                            The Melt Bar and Grilled
                            Corner Stone Brewing
                            Rocky River brewing
                            Great Lakes brewing.

If you like grilled cheess sandwichs, then the Melt in lakewood is for you, they are huge, and they are great.

If you like deli food, then try the Fat Italian at Fatheads.

Little Italy is basically on Mayfield Rd, just south of Euclid Avenue. If you go there you are also close to the Art Museum, and the History Museum. CLeveland also has one of the best zoos in the Nation. If you keep going south on Mayfield, you will reach Coventry rd. Take a right on that, and there is quite a few cool little bars and resturants to chose form.

There is WWII US submarine, the USS Cod, permantly docked near downtown, along with an old oar friegter, similar to the Edmund Fitzgreald, that you can take tours through, they are both great to go to. My favorite was the leak fixing kit on the Cod which consisted of about 2 dozen corks of all sizes.

And of course the ROck and roll hall of fame.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2003
                              • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                              • BT3100

I once worked for an Ad Agency with a Cleveland branch office.

If you messed-up big time, that's where they transferred you.

Bruce
                              "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                              Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...