• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

What Happened?

My oldest woke up this morning as a 5 year old. I still remember her fitting between my elbow and my fingertips. Now I'm wondering where five years went.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

That's a real wake up call. Next blink of the eye and she will be off to collage. Time to spend lots of time with her while she still thinks you are all knowing and the memories are all good.

Happy Birthday little one,

Bill,

Comment

• BobSch
      • Aug 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
      That's a real wake up call. Next blink of the eye and she will be off to collage...

Bill,
      Nah. The next one is "Dad, when can I get my license" or "Dad, this is my boyfriend." Whichever comes first.
      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• drillman88
        • Dec 2007
        • Southeast
        • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

It feels like two years ago I was watching Barney with my daughter and teaching her to ride a bike, now this year she graduated high school and started college.

When I was about ten years old my grandma told me that the older you get, the faster time goes by. I don't believe anyone has made a more true statement.
        Last edited by drillman88; 09-23-2009, 02:02 PM.
        I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • On the TARDIS
          • BT 3100

Originally posted by BobSch
          Nah. The next one is "Dad, when can I get my license" or "Dad, this is my boyfriend." Whichever comes first.
          Youngest did the boyfried one and now the older one is asking about her beginners
          From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• lrogers
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Mobile, AL. USA.
            • BT3000

Time sure passes fast! Hug that little one every chance you get.
            Larry R. Rogers
            The Samurai Wood Butcher
            http://splash54.multiply.com
            http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
              • Aug 2007
              • Minneapolis, MN
              • BT-3000, 21829

Last weekend I was watching my two oldest daughters (aged 40 and 42) play with their children at the youngest grandaughters' 5th birthday party and it occurred to me that my kids are are now middle-aged!

It really hit me hard because I'm just going into my second childhood. How did I get to be this old? Well, 63 is the new 62, or something.

My wife of 43 years and I are extremely lucky. Our oldest two daughters have found wonderful men who love them, provide wonderfully for them and and are terrific fathers.

The youngest girl's guy is great, too. Nikki is a bundle of energy and operates at 110% all the time. She has two businesses in San Francisco and is really active in her community. Corey is a really mellow Southern boy who is the perfect opposite of Nik. He keeps her grounded and just smiles when she comes up with another 'I Love Lucy' scheme.

Where the 5 years go? Who knows? Just try to enjoy every single minute.

I traveled on business for too much of my daughter's young lives and I truly regret having done so. (I guess it might explain why I've remodeled each of their houses -trying to make up for the past, I guess.)

In the picture below, LOML is in the middle with oldest daughters flanking her. The blonde kids are our grand children.
              (This was taken at "Talk like a Pirate Day" at the Renaissance Faire last Saturday.)
              Last edited by eccentrictinkerer; 09-23-2009, 11:45 PM.
              You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
              of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• cabinetman
                Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

A reality check is getting called Grampa.

Comment

Working...