Calling all Computer Nerds- My Dad Needs Help!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Calling all Computer Nerds- My Dad Needs Help!

Hello,

So, I built my Dad a server about 6 or 7 years ago for his business. It's been running 24 hours a day since then, and it just died. So, he needs a replacement, and he needs it as of 4PM CST today.

I'm so not into computers anymore (Moved onto simpler pleasures- i.e. WWing), and I have no idea what's out there that would be suitable.

So- can one of you kind souls with IT knowledge as far as what would be suitable for a server tell me what you'd reccomend from a Target or Best Buy, or Sam's Club/ Walmart? He's in GB, Wisconsin, and the only boutique shop that I know of is kinda rude- and says it'll be 6 business days. His business con't run without the server, so that just won't do.

Or- does he really need to look into getting a rush box from Dell? He has all of the software, and is on a budget (tight economic times), so he's looking for something basic. No Big Blue needed here.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate any help you could give. I'm looking myself right now, but I just don't know what's out there. I have no idea what Intel's got, and how they compare.

Thanks again!
  • headhunter636
    Established Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Federal Way, WA
    • Ryobi BT 3000

What purpose does the server serve? If it is a simple file server, he could invest in a Windows Home Server system which is based off of Windows Server 2003 only scaled down. It accomplishes quite a bit, but it is not an application server. The systems are bought right out of a box and mostly made from HP and Acer for now, with a few other companies joining in. I've read a lot of good reviews about these systems and almost bought one myself but decided it was too much for what I needed it for.

Hope this helps,
    Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"

Comment

• pbui3057
      Established Member
      • Jul 2008
      • Mather, CA
      • BT3000

Do you have a fry's near by? They have an Acer AH340 on sale right now that looks to be pretty good for home and small businesses.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-AH.../dp/B001WGX15W

What happened to the old server? How did it die?

Comment

• BigguyZ
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2006
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by pbui3057
        Do you have a fry's near by? They have an Acer AH340 on sale right now that looks to be pretty good for home and small businesses.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-AH.../dp/B001WGX15W

What happened to the old server? How did it die?
        Sadly, Fry's isn't in WI.

It's a file server, and it runs the intranet with for his workplace, and I think it's a web server as well (not intesively used). But again, he has all the software, he just needs a box to process everything, store data (preferebly with a redundant RAID array, like I had set up), and so forth.

Thanks!

Comment

• pbui3057
          Established Member
          • Jul 2008
          • Mather, CA
          • BT3000

Can you fix the one you currently have or upgrade it with new hardware?

Comment

• justaguy
            Established Member
            • Jun 2006
            • Chesapeake VA

Best Buy - Pick a system with an intel core 2 quad processor, 8GB of ram, and one that supports hardware raid. Between the HP, Dell, Gateway, etc models you should be able to find one that fits.

After taking it out of the box and making sure it works format the hard drive and install the new software.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

When you say he has all the SW, do you mean the operating system too, or just the software he uses for his business? If he needs the OS, he can get one that is preloaded with Windows to do what he wants but he probably won't get one that has RAID already configured. He would need to go to a boutique shop to do that. That said, he could probably have a place like Best Buy install the RAID part if he doesn't know how.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Looks like he has the age-old needs : Good, Quick, Cheap. And like the age-old answer, he can pick any two !

Here, assuming 'Good' means 'tech help', here's the choice :

Good and Cheap : Dell (or take Pbu's link above to the Acer from Amazon, seems an extraordinary offer)

Good and Quick : Best Buy.

Quick and Cheap : Sams Club.
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

Working...