• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

IPod ???

My MIL got an IPod Nano for when she is at the hospital. My wife found it on Ebay. It came with the Ipod and the USB cable but no SW, instructions, etc. First question, I assume it charges via USB. I plugged it into my laptop and Windows recognized it as a drive I could transfer files to. Is it also charging it at the same time or is there a driver I need? Second question, I can transfer files directly to it, but is it worth putting iTunes on their laptop to help organize her music?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • HarmsWay
    • Nov 2003
    • Victoria, BC
    • BT3000

Yes it charges when attached to any USB port. You can get manuals off the Apple site and yes, it's easier to transfer files using iTunes but I don't think it's necessary. I find iTunes a good music organizer.

Bob

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

Even new they don't come with instructions or SW.
      You'll have to download ITunes and do everything through it. I believe it uses a proprietary format but I'm not sure. Don't forget to load up on Pod Casts, I love 'em.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• jussi
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007

It charges via usb but you can get car and wall adapters as well. You can load music to it without itunes but you won't be able to play it on the ipod. It will just see it as data. All music and video has to be loaded via itunes. It basically copies everything in itunes into your ipod, including playlists, tags, etc. Make sure you use the same computer though. It won't let you hook up to another computer unless you wipe it first.

Dido on podcasts. That's a mostly what I listen to now.
        I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• headhunter636
          Established Member
          • Jul 2004
          • Federal Way, WA
          • Ryobi BT 3000

A few things to check is how the iPod is formatted, it can be formatted for PC or Mac. If it is formatted for PC, then you can just download iTunes for PC and it will work fine. If it is formatted for Mac, you will need to reformat it for PC before you can add anything to it. As mentioned above, all manuals can be downloaded from Apple and it does charger over the USB cable. I am a self proclaimed computer geek, if you have any specific questions, I would be glad to help you out.

Dave
          Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for the info on iTunes. I will make sure we put it on her laptop and load whatever music she wants from there.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

LOML did that last night. She can charge off the wall or from her desktop. She also uses iTunes for organizing.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Expanding on what Cab wrote, there is an adapter at most electronic stores that plugs into a wall outlet and the USB side of the iPod cable plugs into the adapter.

There is much misinformation out there but to clarify it, the iPod can play mp3, ACC and several other formats. It does not play other companies' proprietary DRM formats such as MS's, Sony's etc.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• BobSch
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Just don't use it while walking down the tracks!

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_arti...24665&catid=14
                  Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• pbui3057
                    Established Member
                    • Jul 2008
                    • Mather, CA
                    • BT3000

As long as you don't have it synced to one computer, you can plug it into any computer and transfer music that way. Makes it much easier to "share" music from different locations if you wanted to. Also, have it formatted for pc. Macs will recognize pc formatted ipods but not vice versa.

As far as getting music, iTunes store has a large library. If you have cd's that you want to put on there, just rip them using itunes. I use mp3 at 192 kbps.
                    Last edited by pbui3057; 09-19-2009, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Working...