X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jonmulzer
    • Dec 2007
    • Indianapolis, IN

Didn't make it into the shop today.

I was about to head there this morning and start milling stock when my phone rang. A friend was wanting to brew up some beer today so at about noon we ran to the homebrew shop and picked up a couple of odds and ends and from 1pm-9pm we brewed 15 gallons worth. About 6 and a half cases worth, 160 bottles when it is all said and done. Five gallons for him, ten for me.

I grilled out lunch also. Deer bratwurst, corn on the cob with garlic butter and portabella mushrooms. Even though I did not get the small kitchen island anywhere closer to being done, it was still a good day. Maybe I will have time this week for the woodworking, but I wouldn't bet on it.....
    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

How long does that beer have to sit before you can drink it?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jonmulzer
      • Dec 2007
      • Indianapolis, IN

You can drink it in 6 weeks, but it is better at 8-10. The generally accepted minimums are 1-2-3. One week in primary, two weeks in secondary and three weeks in the bottle. I average about 6 weeks in the primary, don't usually secondary and then a month or so in the bottle. I REALLY need to start kegging. Roughly 53 bottles in every five gallons so it is tedious and time consuming to bottle, plus you have to store 2+ cases for each batch.
      "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

My sister brewed some earlier this summer. The first batch was quite tasty. The second was a different brew and wasn't as good. I'd like to brew beer one day but I'm not sure I would have the patience to wait for the beer.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jonmulzer
          • Dec 2007
          • Indianapolis, IN

It gets easier. After you make a few brews, you let them sit longer and let them age out. It also helps to step up to 10 gallon batches. It takes the same amount of time really for twice the amount of beer and it is surprisingly easy to make good beer.

If your favorite beer is Bud, Miller or Coors you are best to keep just buying it. You can't make it cheaper and those brews are the hardest to make.

Comment

Working...