• Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Fewer sources for wood- Rockler's only using warehouse suppliers

Went to my local Rockler over the weekend, and I was looking to get some interesting wood that they carry. My store used to have a pretty good selection of burls and turning blanks for reasonable prices (especially with a 20% off coupon). However, all of the burls and misc wood chucks were gone! I asked about them, and they told me that they were told to stop using independent wood distributors, and they get all of their stock from a warehouse supplier.

So that sucks, IMO. There's few sources as it is for more exotic woods, especially that's not rediculously expensive. So now there's one less place to go. I haven't bought a whole lot of these pieces, but now I'm looking for them and they're not available.

Where does everyone get their wood? I'm not looking for mass amounts- I'm mainly looking for pieces I can cut up into pen blanks. (Found out a long time ago that buying boards and blocks and cutting them down is cheaper than buying individual pen blanks).
  • germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

Hey don't feel bad--I live in what used to be a BIG logging town, and there is no retail source for roughsawn wood for woodworking. No Rockler, no Woodcraft, just the big boxes.

There are a couple of Woodcrafts in Minneapolis as I recall (one near MOA), and I do believe they have a pretty decent selection of exotic hardwoods.
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

There is one WC near the cities- and both Rockler and WC have a decent selection of hardwoods. For me, it's mostly about the larger chunks of exotics and burls. WC has them, but it's MUCH more $$$ (and they don't have many coupons like Rockler does).

Regardless, I just find the increased corporatization of WWing stores a bummer, and the lessening of sources is never a good thing, IMHO.

But yeah, I definitely could be worse off!

Comment

Working...