• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Sometimes You Just Need the Pros

Septic problem. Ugh. Called the county and went and pulled the permit application. Thought I could do it myself. Inspector said they could come out 10 days after I filed the permit. Looked at the permit app it says I have to be licensed with the county. Called the county to find out how to get licensed. The procedure is prohibitive. That was not really a surprise - they don't want amateurs doing it. I called a septic guy Friday. He is here today and the inspector is coming in an hour or so. We think a tree might be causing a problem, plus apparently work was done after the system was inspected when it was put in 7 years ago. The apparent location doesn't match with what is on file nor what was inspected by the county. Now if I didn't say anything no one would be the wiser, but I've learned that things like this if ignored come back to bite you later at the worst possible time.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Now ain't that just a bunch of crap? We recently had to go from septic to sewer. When the lid to the tank was removed, I was glad I didn't opt to do it myself.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Need to replace 50' of line. That is gonna hurt. Waiting on the inspector for him to say which way it can be routed. Also have to find out what it will cost. It won't be cheap.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by crokett
        Need to replace 50' of line. That is gonna hurt. Waiting on the inspector for him to say which way it can be routed. Also have to find out what it will cost. It won't be cheap.

One thing fer sure...it won't be "dirt" cheap.

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Nope. 900 bucks. But OTOH, inspector came out, talked with the septic guy, looked over my permit and they have a handshake agreement so the septic guy is starting today, instead of officially waiting for the permit to be filed.
          David

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Nope. 900 bucks. But OTOH, inspector came out, talked with the septic guy, looked over my permit and they have a handshake agreement so the septic guy is starting today, instead of officially waiting for the permit to be filed.

Countryfolk contract.

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

I had to replace the lines from the house to the tank several years ago. The original lines were installedwrong and caused back up problems. When the house was built the inspector could sign off after checking the tank installation, lateral lines, and the grade from the house to the tank. When the lines were layed from the house out they were about 18" below the inlet to the tank. Instead of fixing them right, 2 45 elbows were added from the end to go UP to the inlet. If nothing else, the Corps taught me that s**t don't flow up hill!

The inspector came out and shot the grade to make sure it was enough for proper installation. When I asked about permits and licensed plumbers he said it looked like a repair job instead of an installation but he couldn't be sure, since hadn't been asked for his assistance or official opinion. Then he offered the use of his transit to check the slope on the new pipe. I laid 4" schedule 40 with glued joints and not a problem since.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• Hellrazor
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Abyss, PA
                • Ridgid R4512

I have a question!!!

Would you shake hands with either of them?

Comment

• jonmulzer
                  • Dec 2007
                  • Indianapolis, IN

$18 a foot?? That's cheap! We charge twice that for new installations and repairs are more expensive. You are getting a great deal.
                  "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • On the TARDIS
                    • BT 3100

When mum bought her place out in the country, she got a "deal" because it needed septic work. The work was replacing the entire septic. And beause of new by-laws for her area, she could only put in a holding tank.
                    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by jonmulzer
                      $18 a foot?? That's cheap! We charge twice that for new installations and repairs are more expensive. You are getting a great deal.
                      Ok. I have no idea how much it is supposed to cost. This is my first direct experience with my septic.
                      David

Comment

• cabinetman
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Ok. I have no idea how much it is supposed to cost. This is my first direct experience with my septic.

Getting estimates would be a good start.

Comment

• crokett
                          The Full Monte
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Mebane, NC, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
                          Getting estimates would be a good start.
                          Sorry. The guy who did the work is a good friend of my dad's. So while the price I did pay is a lot of money, apparently it is much better than other parts of the country. My dad also thinks I got off cheap too. So maybe I did.
                          David

Comment

• cabinetman
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

Sorry. The guy who did the work is a good friend of my dad's. So while the price I did pay is a lot of money, apparently it is much better than other parts of the country. My dad also thinks I got off cheap too. So maybe I did.

Then again...maybe you didn't.

Comment

• crokett
                              The Full Monte
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Mebane, NC, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
                              Then again...maybe you didn't.
                              Maybe not. But considering my dad has had 2 septic systems put in at his house in the last 10 years (one for the house, other for the barn) and knows what they cost in this area of the country, I will trust his judgement.
                              David

Comment

Working...