• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

A pleasant surprise

My wife and I rarely eat out. It seems that when we do, unless we go to a nice steakhouse, we wind up saying we'll never go back to that restaurant, either because the food was not good or it was way overpriced.

Today, we were out, and lunchtime slipped up on us. My wife spotted a Mexican restaurant, and asked if I wanted to try it. I said yes, even though my expectations were not high. WOW! A great lunch for under $20.00!! This has not been the norm, and it was refreshing to find a good meal at a reasonable price. How are the restaurants in your area?

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

If you've ever been to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami Beach, you would eat all your meals out. Anything you could ever want is here. It's typical of a high tourism location.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Around here the restaurants are mostly good and generally reasonably priced. I've been down here 15 years and IMO the restaurants have gotten better in that time. My Dad thinks it was all the yankees moving here who are used to good restaurants up north.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

St. Louis has TONS of good restaurants, from hole-in-the-wall lunch spots to >$100 a person ultra-luxe places. Guess which ones I frequent?

The Hill has a bunch of really good Italian, and there are Mexican and Chinese places everywhere. Also some of the finest BBQ in the world, even if the rest of the world doesn't know what a pork steak is. Or toasted ravioli.

g.
        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
        Bill & Ted

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • On the TARDIS
          • BT 3100

We have a few good places around here. I mentioned one in my "lunch" post. Most of the good places are smaller places that you wouldn't give them a second look unless you knew of their reputation.
          From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• herb fellows
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • New York City
            • bt3100

Living in NY, we have about 64,000 to choose from. Virtually anything in any price category.
            You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• jackellis
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

We have good restaurants and mediocre ones up here at Lake Tahoe. My wife's rule is that she won't eat anyplace that can't improve on a meal she could prepare herself, so meals out tend to be spendy unless I'm by myself. Before we moved, we would consistently eat at a Thai place that had very good, reasonably-priced food. Up here, our favorites have great food and great service.

Comment

• herb fellows
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • New York City
                • bt3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                If you've ever been to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami Beach, you would eat all your meals out. Anything you could ever want is here. It's typical of a high tourism location.
                We visit friends in Hallandale every year. We have gone to a dozen restaurants in the surrounding areas and never hit a bad one! Most were exceptional.
                You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• unknown poster
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2006

I love to try new food and so I'm often going to new restaurants. I hate to waste my time or money so I usually research restaurants before I try them.

There are several online restaurant review sites that can save you some wasted restaurant experiences. I like www.urbanspoon.com and www.yelp.com, but there are others.

Also check out your local newspaper's restaurant critic. Around here if they give a good review I wait a weekend because the place will be packed the weekend the review comes out. The local critic takes her job seriously, and has managed to stay anonymous so no one knows when she's dining.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Weir, Ks, USA.
                    • BT3000

We have very good restaurants here in Southeast Kansas. Here is a sample:

We also have Jim's Steakhouse that has been an icon here since at least the 50's. A great Mexican Restaurant, and an authintic Italian Restaurant. Nearby is a great German Restaurant too. No wonder I am overweight!

Bill
                    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

Best Mex-Tex I have ever eaten in is at Mamacita's. It's a small 'chain' in several of the towns in the area. Everything is fresh from the flour tortillas to the hot sauces. (BTW: Sam, they are now selling 'Mamatamba' at the register...Just need to check postal regs to make sure it doesn't violate any laws!)

Texas Red's is in an old cotton gin and does a steak the way it was meant to be.

New Braunsfel is an old German settlement and has several restaurants with good German cuisine.

Gruene (green) is a artsy tourist trap town but is home to the Grist Mill, an historic restaurant buuilt on the Guadalupe River. Visit Gruene on a Friday or Saturday and plan to follow dinner with a visit to Gruene Hall, one of the oldest dance halls in Texas.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Originally posted by herb fellows
                        We visit friends in Hallandale every year. We have gone to a dozen restaurants in the surrounding areas and never hit a bad one! Most were exceptional.

Hallendale is a highly populated area for the retired. Gotta treat them right. Quite a few have "early bird specials", which become a stand in line event.

Comment

Working...