• Show
Clear All
  • scmhogg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

A "recent" immigrant

As I read Alex's tale of his ancestors immigration, I was reminded of my own rather modest tale.

When I was seven, in 1951, I was informed by my father, that we were going to live in America. About six months earlier we had leased one of the early televisions. BBC was the only channel and it was only on for a few hours each day.

I would rush home from school to watch the Hopalong Cassidy serial. This program was all I knew about America. I was a little nervous about coming to such a wild place. You know, gunfights and Indians....

We came by ship, from South Hampton to New Orleans. We were in a luxurious cabin, one of two on a freighter. The freighter was necessary because my brother was only a few months old and passenger liners did not allow infants. The trip was a boys dream. I was adopted by the crew. I steered the ship, spoke on the radio, and helped paint the funnel.

We sailed up the Mississippi to the port. We spent our last night under mosquito nets. What is this place I have come to? New Orleans didn't seem to wild. Perhaps this was going to be okay, after all.

We had a Pullman car on the train from NO to Los Angeles. For those of you who know the route the train takes through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and eastern California, you know the kind of desolation I saw through the train window. This was starting to look scary again.

We had a 30 minute rest stop in Yuma Arizona. I stepped off the train and it was 110 degrees in May. I don't think I had experience 90 degrees my whole life. The air burned my nose and my face. I thought to myself, that I wasn't going to survive this ****.

Then, on the platform, were REAL Indians. They were selling their crafts and didn't look to threatening. But, you never know...so I got back on the train.

Arriving in LA seemed to be okay. Not so hot, no Indians, and buildings and houses.

On the plus side, I got my first pair of long pants. Boys in England wore shorts until they were 14. I thought I had really gotten away with something.

Steve
    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Originally posted by scmhogg
    When I was seven, in 1951, I was informed by my father, that we were going to live in America.
    With all the crap going on in CA, have you ever felt like going back?

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

Originally posted by cgallery
      With all the crap going on in CA, have you ever felt like going back?
      LOL! Go back to the land of the expense-account funded moat rehabilitation?

JR
      JR

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Originally posted by JR
        LOL! Go back to the land of the expense-account funded moat rehabilitation?

JR
        Good point, you can run but you can't hide.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

That's a good story. It's a lot more interesting than my trip which I don't
          even remember--just our layover in Hong Kong. I'm a newer immigrant
          coming here in 1979 by plane from Burma.

It certainly sounds like part of Around the World in 80 Days but only in the
          reverse direction. How long did the ocean voyage take?

Comment

• scmhogg
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2003
            • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
            • BT3000

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            How long did the ocean voyage take?
            The trip took two weeks. We were on the Joseph Lykes, which was destroyed during hurricane Betsy, in September 1965.

These pics are from the early 50's when we sailed.

http://www.timetableimages.com/marit...ges/lykesi.htm

Steve
            I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Originally posted by scmhogg
              We were on the Joseph Lykes...
              So why were freight liners carrying passengers?

And were there any accommodations on the Joseph Lykes beyond the two cabins? Or was that it?

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by cgallery
                So why were freight liners carrying passengers?

And were there any accommodations on the Joseph Lykes beyond the two cabins? Or was that it?
                CG,

Let me introduce you to another world: passengers on freightliners.
                http://www.freighterworld.com/
                http://www.geocities.com/freighterman.geo/mainmenu.html
                Many more.

Those are only two. Do a google search on "Booking Freightliner travel".

I have met many people who book passage on freightliners. They love it. Some freightliners carry passengers but are not permitted to carry more than a certain number, say 20 without having a licensed doctor on board. Prices are not bad but not cheap - about the price of business on a jet.

People who like the seas, have the time, want to visit different ports for a few days at a time can do this.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

Thanks, Hank, I had no idea!

It still seems kinda weird to me, though. It seems like they get all the headaches of running a large passenger line (maintaining facilities, feeding people, running the risk of a passenger becoming ill, etc.), but only get the income from a handful of passengers.

Comment

Working...