Gmail problems

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • milanuk
    Established Member
    • Aug 2003
    • 287
    • Wenatchee, WA, USA.

    #1

    Gmail problems

    Anyone here using Gmail with Firefox 3.5.2?

    It was working fine... but since a couple days ago, Gmail is acting weird - never thought I'd see *web mail* hang when trying to do something (create a new filter for a mailing list I'm subscribed to), but it just sits there with a 'Still Working' message. Very slow to change folders, etc. Disabled all the 'Google Lab' stuff (actually didn't have any thing enabled to begin with, but made double-dog sure), and no improvement. The discouraging part is apparently Google has been having this sort of trouble off and on for about a year now, and will barely acknowledge it, much less provide a fix to end users.

    Just kind of curious if anyone else is experiencing similar turbulence?
    All right, breaks over. Back on your heads!
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • 10627
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

    #2
    I am using 3.0.13 and not having any problems. Have you tried clearing cache and deleting cookies?
    David

    The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

    Comment

    • milanuk
      Established Member
      • Aug 2003
      • 287
      • Wenatchee, WA, USA.

      #3
      Yes, and yes.

      Actually those were the first things I tried... and then digging through the 'Help' on Google that was the only suggested 'fix'... so I tried it again. Still no dice.

      Hmmm... fired up Internet Exploder 8... works fine there.

      Checked again in Firefox 3.5.2... still no dice.

      Now that I think about it... things started going weird after I upgraded to 3.5.2. Guess now I have to find a way to 'down-grade' Firefox.

      Ever noticed how FF starts acting weird/sluggish a little while after a new upgrade becomes available? Almost like they're 'pushing' you to upgrade to the latest release? it may be a figment of my imagination, but I just know that my experience has been when FF starts getting slow/buggy, if I go to www.mozilla.com/firefox and voila! there's a new release waiting for me to download and install
      All right, breaks over. Back on your heads!

      Comment

      • Alex Franke
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2007
        • 2641
        • Chapel Hill, NC
        • Ryobi BT3100

        #4
        I use it with 3.5.2 and haven't had a problem at all.

        Try disabling add-ons before you downgrade. There might be one that's misbehaving.

        Edit: I searched a bit and found a number of people who claim that disabling Skype add-on resolves the same symptoms. I don't have that add-on, but if you do it's worth a shot.
        Last edited by Alex Franke; 08-12-2009, 10:27 PM. Reason: Added "edit" part
        online at http://www.theFrankes.com
        while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
        "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

        Comment

        • milanuk
          Established Member
          • Aug 2003
          • 287
          • Wenatchee, WA, USA.

          #5
          Alex,

          You da man. I was sitting here wracking my brain trying to figure out what else had changed on my system. When we were on vacation I started using Skype on my laptop (Macbook) and upon return, installed it on this desktop PC. Didn't even think about it installing an add-on for Firefox.

          Disabled the Skype add-on and boingo, Gmail works normally and Firefox isn't as sluggish anymore. Interestingly... it wasn't a problem on Mac OS X 10.4.x running FF 3.5.2?

          Thanks,

          Monte
          All right, breaks over. Back on your heads!

          Comment

          • Alex Franke
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2007
            • 2641
            • Chapel Hill, NC
            • Ryobi BT3100

            #6
            That's great news -- glad I was able to help!

            I bet the folks at Skype are already on it.
            online at http://www.theFrankes.com
            while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
            "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

            Comment

            • herb fellows
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • 1867
              • New York City
              • bt3100

              #7
              Originally posted by Alex Franke
              I use it with 3.5.2 and haven't had a problem at all.

              Try disabling add-ons before you downgrade. There might be one that's misbehaving.

              Edit: I searched a bit and found a number of people who claim that disabling Skype add-on resolves the same symptoms. I don't have that add-on, but if you do it's worth a shot.
              Exactly the same, 3.5.2 and gmail, no problem.
              You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

              Comment

              • gsmittle
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • 2793
                • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                • BT 3100

                #8
                Originally posted by milanuk
                ... it wasn't a problem on Mac OS X 10.4.x running FF 3.5.2?

                Thanks,

                Monte


                g.
                Smit

                "Be excellent to each other."
                Bill & Ted

                Comment

                Working...