• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Roofers

Don't let 'em pick up shingles and drive them ole' nails - let 'em be doctors and lawyers and own boats with sails...

Ugh. I surely am glad I have an office job. I got the back half (well not half, since the porch has a roof but you know what I mean) shingled today. Even though I had a tractor to lift the shingles up there it was still tough. I am not sure I will have enough for the front side. The shingles also don't match, but at 20 bucks a square from Craigslist, I'm not picky. They just need to keep things dry. I took a picture but will post it tomorrow. I think it will be the first one of the back side of the shop - just to prove it isn't some Hollywood type facade or something.
    Last edited by crokett; 08-01-2009, 07:51 PM.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

If the shingles don't match just randomize them. It looks like you meant to do it for the looks.

Bill

Comment

• Crash2510
      • Feb 2006
      • North Central Ohio

just go to carter lumber they always have old shingles around here for 5 dollars a square

just bought 3 square for 48 dollars and they were like new
      Phil In Ohio
      The basement woodworker

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

I have a lot of respect for craftspeople and folks who do hard manual labor for a living. The older I get, the more I respect them and the happier I am to pay them instead of doing it myself.

Comment

• Hellrazor
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Abyss, PA
          • Ridgid R4512

Come on David... roofing something that size isn't that bad. We did a 35square roof, with only 2 people, including the tearoff, some deck repair and hand nailed both the tarpaper and 40yr shingles.

Comment

• reddog552
            Established Member
            • Dec 2006
            • Belleville Il.
            • Bt3000

AWWW Shingling

I havent done any in a while.Back in my younger days i did Hundreds +. Did a charity job for mu sister,2 story ALL cut up,LOTS OF VALLEYS.It was 45 square, the matching garage 20sq.My sister carried shingles. I hand nailed. instaled new drip edge,snow guard,new flashing,the works. it took us 2 weeks,we shingled in the day drank by night. That had to be One of the best times in my life.Shingling Is Good For You.
            The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!

Comment

• germdoc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Omaha, NE
              • BT3000--the gray ghost

Be careful!

One of my current patients fell off a roof while drinking on the job. 5 broken ribs and a broken sternum, 3 cracked vertebrae, 2 pneumonias and a tracheostomy later, he is starting to recover. Gettin' a little ornery in fact, which is a good thing.

I bet he wishes he had called in sick that day...
              Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

We re-roofed our house in the July of 2005. 2700 sq.ft., 3 peaks, 3 sky lights, two stories, one valley, one chimney, one garage, one L-shaped addition, one porch over hang, and never ever again! I remember working for the first 2-3 hours, looking up at what I had done vs what I had left to do, and knew immediately I was in for a very long haul. It was a really hot summer too. I have a ton of respect for the guys that do roofing for a living, but never had the ambition to become one.

The best money I spent was having the shingles delivered to the roof. The 2nd best money spent was buying a refurbed PC175 roofing nailer, then reselling it on Ebay used for $12 less than I paid....sure beats $35/day rental.

Good luck!
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• drillman88
                  • Dec 2007
                  • Southeast
                  • Delta Platinum Edition Contractor Saw

My neighbor had his house reshingled last week and I saw something I had never seen before, a one armed roofer. He held his own(pun intentended) with the others. He would've been unemployed without a nailer though.
                  I think therefore I .....awwww where is that remote.

Comment

• BobSch
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by jackellis
                    I have a lot of respect for craftspeople and folks who do hard manual labor for a living. The older I get, the more I respect them and the happier I am to pay them instead of doing it myself.
                    Amen, brother.

Many years ago I helped my FIL shingle a large garage/shed. Wouldn't even consider it today.
                    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• gsmittle
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                      • BT 3100

Roofing is on my List of Things I'll Happily Pay Someone Else to Do, along with laying carpet, tile, and finishing concrete.

g.
                      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                      Bill & Ted

Comment

• crokett
                        The Full Monte
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Mebane, NC, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Hellrazor
                        Come on David... roofing something that size isn't that bad.
                        I suppose not but if you ever wanted to convince your kid to stay in school, send him or her out with a roofing crew or concrete crew. That's about as good an argument to stay in school as I know. And no, this does not imply that all roofers are dropouts, just that if you are a dropout there aren't that many jobs you qualify for.
                        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Hellrazor
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2003
                          • Abyss, PA
                          • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by crokett
                          I suppose not but if you ever wanted to convince your kid to stay in school, send him or her out with a roofing crew or concrete crew. That's about as good an argument to stay in school as I know. And no, this does not imply that all roofers are dropouts, just that if you are a dropout there aren't that many jobs you qualify for.
                          I would put a kid on a concrete crew that has to do 15 yards of wheelbarrow work or a 30+ square 2 story roof and he needs to hump 40yr shingles up a ladder. When he wakes up a few days later you can ask him how it was

I actually like roofing and concrete work... but I wouldn't want to do it as a living.

Comment

Working...